SCOPE OF POSITION
The System Administrator as a member of our Systems Operations department will be responsible for implementing and maintaining the production platform for private, public and hybrid cloud environments. This individual will be responsible for supporting production-affecting issues as they are escalated from the NOC, from sophisticated monitoring systems and sourced internally from within the support and operations teams. All candidates for this role must be able to prioritize and manage issues of varying complexity and criticality. Systems Administrators are responsible for resolving 80% of escalations before escalating to next-tier support.
This individual will assist Systems Operations and Data Center Operations Management with the daily operations/maintenance of our production systems and will participate in projects to automate and improve current processes.
- Perform planning, configuration, deployment and maintenance work associated with the Platform as a Service (PaaS) offering.
- Perform systems administration tasks associated with implementation, migration and deployments utilizing remote-hands or interactions with business customer’s systems administrators for on-prem/behind-the-firewall implementations.
- Quickly and efficiently troubleshoot both simple and complex issues in order to provide outstanding support for customer and internal needs.
- Identify areas for process and efficiency improvement within Systems Operations; recommend solutions and assist in overseeing implementation. Actively facilitate continuous improvement.
- Ensure all necessary operational processes and procedures are carried out with a high level of attention to detail, expediency and on-time delivery.
- Create and maintain system information diagrams and detailed documentation.
- Monitor various systems capacity and provide analytics & forecasts for added or reduced capacity as required.
- Use strong communication skills (both written and verbal) to direct with precision and clarity remote-hands technicians over the phone to execute deployment, break-fix, and upgrade plans accurately.
- Travel on an infrequent basis domestically and potentially internationally to assist in on-site maintenance activities
- BA/BS preferred (or equivalent experience).
- 2-3 years of relevant experience including in managing Windows and Linux/Unix platforms in these functions: DNS/ADS, RAID, system configuration and administration, provisioning automation and audit technologies such as Puppet or Chef
- Thorough understanding of TCP/IP
- Strong understanding of load balancing clusters, SLB, firewalls, ISPs, routers, cloud deployment and systems management technologies such as Chef or CFEngine, and Rightscale or Ylastic
- Minimum 3 years of experience working with servers and network technologies.
- Must possess strong documentation skills using Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Word and other online documentation tools such as a wiki.
- Experience using an operational ticketing system to record changes and work history details such as JIRA, OTRS or Service Now.
- Ability to manage servers and direct contract remote-hands personnel remotely and with a high-degree of precision.
- Must be able to communicate with precision and clarity with remote-hands technicians over the phone to execute datacenter deployment plans accurately.
- Ability to travel