SCOPE OF POSITION
Engineering System Administration (ESA) is responsible for developing and maintaining the worldwide infrastructure for the entire Dreamworks company. This position is with the Enterprise Systems and Services (ESS) group, which is directly responsible for operating systems (desktop, server, and render farm), compute resources, virtualization, tools and application integration with back-end directory services, and other traditional System Administration processes (excluding Networking, Storage and Datacenter Operations).
ESA/ESS is looking for an individual who is not only technically versed, self-directed, and able to work well as part of a team, but fits in with our creatively technical culture.
- Quickly and efficiently troubleshoot both simple and complex issues (working with internal developers as well as external vendors), recommend solutions and/or alternatives, and perform or coordinate resolution.
- Ensure all necessary operational processes and procedures are carried out with a high level of attention to detail, expediency and on-time delivery. Identify areas for process/efficiency improvements, and assist in overseeing implementation.
- Create and maintain system information, diagrams and detailed documentation.
- Installation of tools and other solutions for new needs, integrating it with existing systems and tools and presenting to the larger group as part of cross-training.
- Monitor various systems capacity and provide analytics & forecasts for added or reduced capacity as required.
- Use strong communication skills (both written and verbal) to direct with precision and clarity remote-hands technicians over the phone to execute deployment, break-fix, and upgrade plans accurately.
- Travel on an infrequent basis domestically and potentially internationally to assist in on-site maintenance and deployment activities.
- Minimum 5+ years in Linux system administration in a large (500+system) environment.
- Must have strong knowledge of large scale Linux/UNIX environments, with preferences for:
- Experience supporting Red Hat Enterprise Linux (Server and Workstation/Client)
- Experience with Linux (Server and Workstation) provisioning (DHCP, PXE/TFTP, Kickstart)
- Experience with large scale configuration management and OS customization (Puppet / Chef / CFEngine, etc. SCCM / Group Policy is a plus.)
- Experience with continuous integration (Jenkins / Bamboo)
- Experience with virtualization (Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization Manager (RHEV / RHEV-M) / VMWare / KVM)
- Experience in supporting LDAP Directory Service (Red Hat Enterprise Identity (IPA) / OpenLDAP / Sun LDAP)
- Experience with Linux package management (RPM, Yum)
- Experience with large-site monitoring (Zenoss / Nagios / OpenNMS, etc.)
- Experience with supporting system-level network protocols (DNS, NFS, etc.)
- Proficiency with a large scale ticketing system (JIRA / Remedy / ServiceNow, etc.)
- Proficiency in creating software/scripts to automate systems with fluency in at least one language (including use of built-in functions and libraries) (Bourne / Bash / Perl / Python / Ruby)
- Proficiency with source code/revision control system (git / hg / SVN / CVS, etc.)
- Familiarity/experience with LAMP stack (nginx / Apache, etc.) is a plus
- Familiarity/experience with OpenStack / OpenShift is a plus
- Familiarity/experience with Batch Queuing Systems (MRG / LSF) is a plus
- Familiarity/experience with Mac OS X support and integration is a plus
- Familiarity/experience with Windows (Client and Server) support and integration is a plus
- Must possess strong documentation skills with traditional publishing tools as well as other online documentation tools (Google Docs, wikis).
- Must have strong customer service and documentation skills with the ability to balance project work with technical support.
- Must be able to prioritize and manage issues of varying complexity and criticality
- Must have effective analytical skills, with the ability to diagnose and correct performance and reliability issues.
- Ability to manage servers and direct remote-hands personnel with a high-degree of precision. Must be able to communicate with precision and clarity with remote-hands technicians over the phone to execute datacenter deployment plans accurately.
- Should have a basic familiarity with Windows environments for Windows-only applications.
- BA/BS preferred (or equivalent experience).