ABOUT THE COMPANY
Since 1995, Magenic (www.magenic.com) has made incredible software utilizing the .NET platform. We are headquartered in Minneapolis, with strong regional offices in Boston, Chicago, Atlanta, San Francisco and Irvine, CA - and we’re expanding into Charlotte, NC.
We're innovators, award winners, MVPs and generally good people. We're a bunch of passionate technologists that like to solve complicated problems, as part of a team of like-minded folks.
Magenic was created with the idea that it should be possible to have a consulting culture that combined cutting edge technology projects with a strong work-life balance. As a Magenic employee, you'll be working with Fortune 1000 and Fortune 500 companies on complex projects, because we like to do the hard stuff. On top of this, you’ll be part of the Magenic team - home to hardcore Microsoft technologists – Rocky Lhotka and Jason Bock are among our many Microsoft MVPs.
If this all sounds good to you, we invite you to join our winning team!
Note: this is a FTE/Perm position with Magenic working as a consultant on client engagements in the Greater Boston Area. No overnight travel, but you must be willing to commute daily to the clients' sites throughout the Greater Boston Area.
The Application Architect leads the technical implementation of a major client engagement encompassing one or more custom solutions built on the .NET platform. This is a hands-on role requiring excellent technical skills and a strong desire to bring a project team together and guide them towards:
- Understanding which architectural principals are most relevant in context
- Identifying and addressing design challenges
- Applying appropriate engineering practices
- Estimating effectively
- Writing clean code and understanding the principals involved in doing so
- Creating unit tests, and other artifacts consistent with clean, high quality deliverables
- 3+ years of team leadership (5+ person team)
- Problem decomposition and analysis
- Effective task assignment; task estimation
- Must be an effective communicator with technical team members and business stakeholders both verbally and in writing (documents and e-mails).
- Must be capable of adjusting tone, complexity and level of detail appropriate to the audience
- Ability to clearly articulate issues, solicit and propose alternatives, and guide the implementation of the chosen alternative
- Experience helping a technical team develop and/or adopt technical standards
- Experience conducting code reviews
- Experience supporting team standards with automation e.g. with Team Foundation Server preferred
- Must be well versed in best practices related to: -.NET 3.5+ (generally) - ASP.NET MVC 3+ (4 or higher preferred) - Web Services; RESTful and/or SOAP -WCF SOAP and REST Services
- Must be familiar with Team Foundation Server (TFS) or a similarly complete application lifecycle management tool
- Must be familiar with the nuts and bolts of effective development teams
- Use appropriate mechanisms for recording requirements, assigning tasks and tracking defects
- Branching and other aspects of source control
- Build and deployment best practices e.g. continuous integration
- Tools and techniques to support high quality deliverables e.g. unit testing
- Automated supports for quality e.g. FxCop or other code analysis tools
Magenic employees must have a solid consulting acumen and a delivery-focused mentality. Including:
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate information clearly, accurately and in a timely fashion to clients and project team members.
- Utilize standards in the delivery of plans, designs, program modification, testing and installation of project work.
- Recommend design/system alternatives or approaches to client and systems requirements.
- Effectively utilize technical/application skills working with multiple software packages and/or multiple modules within a package.
- Follow established methodology to meet project deliverables for assigned tasks. Provide required documentation for these tasks including design documentation, technical specifications, user procedures, and test plans.
- Recognize possible solutions to business and technical problems and selects the most appropriate solutions. Challenge current business practices and propose solutions to ensure the best alternative is selected for the client.
- Work with other Consultants and Client Staff to perform assigned tasks within prescribed deadlines in order to complete client’s project successfully; resolve issues that affect deadlines or contractual obligations; notify Project Manager of concerns or conflicts, which could impede project implementation milestones.
- Takes initiative to learn the industry and the client’s business when completing project tasks.
- You must have a passion for Microsoft tools, a commitment to excellence and learning, and want to be part of a growing team that builds great software.
- Flexibility to commute to clients sites within the region (typically within 1 hour’s drive). Ability to commute unassisted is a requirement.
Magenic's highly-skilled consultants are the key to our success! You don’t have to sacrifice work/life balance to be part of our team. We’ve created a unique environment that promises technical challenges, professional growth, extensive training, competitive salaries/benefits, plus the opportunity to work with some of the best Developers, Designers, Architects, Systems and Integrators around.
This is done at the local level, so you get to sleep in your own bed at night!
Interested candidates should submit their resume to: email@example.com