Job Description - Essential Duties
- Primary responsibility is implementing enterprise-level system architecture, designs, and working with one or more development teams to realize future product architecture. While this is an Individual Contributor position, there is expectation that the Principal Software Engineer play a technical leadership and mentoring role in the organization.
- Utilize novel approaches to solve complex technical problems and apply advanced technical principles, theories and concepts to develop innovative products
- Responsibilities include researching, analyzing, designing, proposing, and delivering solutions that are appropriate for the business and technology strategies.
- Help design complex systems at the component and framework level, make strategic technology choices, and directly supervise the quality of designs and implementation of the overall platform, implementation and orchestration of components
- Additional responsibilities may include identification of major system interfaces and development of module reuse on an enterprise-wide scale.
- Segment and design system layers to support componentized and layered application development, including user interface, business functionality and database access.
- The Principal Software Engineer is involved in all aspects of the project life cycle, from the initial kickoff through the requirements analysis, design and implementation.
- Ensure software requirements specifications and detailed design documents are produced for subsystems, must be consistent with architectural constraints and software development processes
- Work with other Engineers, Managers, Product Management, QA and Operations teams to develop innovative solutions that meet market needs with respect to functionality, performance, scalability, reliability, realistic implementation schedules and adherence to development goals and principles.
- Manage, prioritize and execute multiple concurrent high visibility software development project activities
- Research technical and business requirements to insure compliance with postal rules
- Principal Engineer must be a hands-on self-starter, work independently or as a team member, and have strong communication skills in interfacing with business partners and the Postal community. He or she is also responsible for communicating to others on technical standards, principles, methodology and trends.
- Estimate engineering effort, plan implementation and rollout system changes.
- Independently design, code and test major features as well as work jointly with other team members to deliver complex changes.
- Mentor and coach other software engineers and leads
- Collaborate, have fun, and make a difference.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Significant experience in architecting, designing, and developing high performance, high volume scalable, online e-commerce related server/web-based SW products and services
- Strong expertise and experience in designing highly available, reliable, and scalable Web based applications using Micro soft Windows (.Net/C#/MS SQL Server/IIS) technologies. The principal Software Engineer must have significant business knowledge and technical expertise in application design and architecture, as well as knowledge of related domains of technical architectures (network, security, and infrastructure engineering), information architectures, and data architectures.
- Exceptional Principal software engineers with 12+ years of experience, and primary strengths in Architecture, Server-side design and development using Microsoft technologies and dependable software engineering practices. Significant expertise with at least one of these application servers such as JBoss, OS such as Windows, Application domain such shipping and printing is a plus.
- Strong server side architecture, design, development experience on Windows platform
- Strong object-oriented programming and design interest with a pragmatic approach
- 12+ years of Experience using C# /.NET
- 12+ years of Experience using MS SQL Server or comparable database
- 12+ years of Experience developing Web Services (WSDL, SOAP) and REST
- Have experience with ASP.NET MVC framework.
- Proficient in Microsoft SQL Server or other Databases as well as T-SQL or other SQL languages
- Must be detail oriented and have superior problem-solving skills.
- Must have excellent communication and presentation skills
- Keen interest in latest MS-based software development and technology
- BS in Computer Science/Engineering or related field and 12 or more years of relevant experience, preferably from a reputed University; MS or higher degrees preferred
- Shipping, mailing, or e-commerce industry experience is a plus