Dynamics of the Role
Insurance Analytics is an entrepreneurial department within the larger TransUnion Analytics division. TransUnion Analytics is a major player in modeling and quantitative analysis related to credit, fraud detection, identity verification, account management, mortgage default/foreclosure, capital markets risk, insurance loss, pre-screen marketing, retention, loyalty, cross-sale and most other data-driven efforts in the consumer financial industry. We have a wealth of data and industry experience, a large group of well-trained analysts/statisticians/consultants and a modern computing environment to support you.
Insurance Analytics is a rapidly growing unit, which aims to design, create and offer innovative data-driven products to the property and casualty insurance as well as life insurance industry. We are aided by TransUnions existing business with most of the top twenty and a large number of mid-size P&C insurance carriers. We have the freedom to explore external data sources and new statistical techniques, and are excited about delivering a whole new generation of TransUnion solutions.
You will apply your highly developed analytical skills to work on all aspects of the insurance value chain, ranging from pricing models, fraud detection, process triaging to a variety of other analytics solutions.
You will also apply your leadership experience, high energy level and business sense to supervise staff, manage analytics projects, propose analytics strategy, create related business cases, drive several large initiatives, lead customer initiatives and give presentations as a subject matter expert. This position is located in Chicago convenient to train stations and bus routes.
The Teams Focus
Analytics builds predictive and proactive models to forecast risk, identify trends and provide our customers with a big-picture view for key markets such as financial services, housing and insurance. Our team is made up of some of the most knowledgeable people in the business and offers the chance to make meaningful contributions to our customers. Our models are currently the top in the industry for risk verification (insurance) and healthcare insurance. We have a culture of teamwork and strong management support for professional growth. We also value flexibility and openness in our highly visible group, and were growing and taking on new challenges every day.
How Youll Contribute:
- Independently leads data analysis and modeling projects from project/sample design, business review meetings with internal and external clients deriving requirements/deliverables, reception and processing of data, performing analyses and modeling to final reports/presentations, communication of results and sales support.
- Leads the group responsible for insurance underwriting, rating, application fraud and other point-of-quote/bind solutions for auto and property lines. Explores internal and external data to create innovative new products to be implemented at a variety of insurance carriers.
- Functions as an insurance analytics expert on meetings with customers (insurance companies) and partner companies.
- Manages staff including goal setting, performance evaluation, effective resource allocation and career/skill development, hiring and training.
- Utilizes advanced statistical techniques to create high-performing predictive models and creative analyses to address business objectives and client needs.
- Proactively and effectively communicates in various verbal and written formats with internal stakeholders on product design, data specification, model implementations, with partners on collaboration ideas and specifics, with clients and account teams on project/test results, opportunities, questions. Resolves problems and removes obstacles to timely and high-quality project completion.
- Actively contributes to insurance analytics strategy by contributing ideas, preparing presentation/sales material for customers, and product design/business case materials for TransUnion leadership.
- Follows industry trends in insurance and related data/analytics businesses. Contributes ideas and actively participates in the investigation and research of new processes, resources and technologies that can potentially be implemented to provide improved customer solutions or to broaden TransUnion's analytic consulting and related services capabilities.
- Assures compliance with regulatory and privacy requirements during design and implementation of modeling and analysis projects.
- Travels to client and partner meetings as needed (probably once per month or less).
What Youll Bring:
- Graduate-level degree with concentration in a quantitative discipline such as statistics computer science, mathematics, economics, or operations research OR Associateship/Fellowship in the Casualty Actuarial Society.
- 8+ years of experience with statistical modeling and data mining in a P&C insurance context using large and complex datasets. Experience with personal lines rating plan modeling is a strong plus. Knowledge of credit attributes is preferred but not required.
- 5+ years of management experience. Ability to effectively manage own and associates' time while multitasking between multiple projects in a dynamic business environment with a variety of internal stakeholders, partners and customers.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills, listening and teamwork skills, and effective presentation skills. This is absolutely essential since you will have a lot of exposure to different internal groups (data, IT, product and sales) as well as third-party partners and customers (insurance companies).
- Executive presence on high-level meetings. Credible functional expertise in P&C insurance and predictive analytics.
- Expertise in statistical modeling techniques such as linear regression, logistic regression, GLM, tree models (CART, MART, CHAID), cluster analysis, principal components, and feature creation, validation.
- Programming experience with SAS (STAT, macros, EM) and other statistical software (R, SPSS, Matlab). UNIX experience is a plus.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
What We Offer
We aim high and are reaching for new heights every day. This is a terrific time to join our team as we build on our commitment to integrity, service, reliability and innovation. These values stand behind the decisions we make every day, as well as our relationships at work and with the customers we serve. We believe in the power to achieve and are taking it in bold new directions.
Who We Are
A global leader in credit information and information management services, TransUnion gives businesses, consumers and the global community the power to achieve their goals. Businesses count on us to better manage risk and customer relationships. Consumers are able to better manage credit to achieve their financial goals. And in communities around the world we help build strong economies and give people the power to achieve their dreams.
Exceptional opportunities are coming as we build on this strong foundation. Our ambitious growth strategy includes substantial new investment worldwide, a wide range of new solutions to help our customers succeed like never before, and new ideas for expanding our reach in every part of our dynamic and fast-moving industry. Were on an exciting journey and you can be a part of it.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.