Location: Washington, DC
Aptima is a market leader in optimizing human performance within complex, mission-critical systems. Aptima currently has an opening for a Data Scientist who will define and apply Big Data analytics to data concerning cyber defense. The customer organization is one of the premier venues for cutting edge research and development in Big Data. We are looking for a highly motivated, innovative professional with a minimum of 2 years of relevant experience in a scientific research field.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Materially contribute to the design, development, and application of data mining, statistical analysis, machine learning, and modeling methods
- Collaborate with software engineers, within an agile development environment, to implement, test, and apply mathematical algorithms from research
- Ph.D. or Masters in a computational discipline (e.g., Electrical and Systems Engineering, Applied Mathematics, Computer Science, Cognitive Science, Physics, Biological Sciences)
- Experience with at least one of the following:
- Developing optimization and probabilistic classification, inference, or control models. The candidate must have understanding of underlying theories and at least two years of experience developing solutions using machine learning, optimization, stochastic modeling, or Bayesian decision theories.
- Experience modeling graph data: Graphs with multiple attributes and changing dynamics, Graph-based analytics to include normalcy and anomaly detection modeling, Graph storage, and retrieval, Network/graph indexing & compression
- Experience developing analytics for cyber datasets
- Experience implementing algorithms, such as event detection, graph search, graph pattern learning and detection, attribute / link discovery & classification in graphs, and belief propagation/ Markov Chain Monte-Carlo methods/non-linear Optimization algorithms
- Excellent communications skills (verbal and written)
- Ability/willingness to locate near the customer’s site in Arlington, VA
Any of the following would be a plus:
- Experience with techniques for parallel, distributed computing over big data, such as the MapReduce Framework or Hadoop
- Knowledge of software/data design methods, data structures, and modeling standards
- Experience collaborating with software engineers and military personnel
- Journal and/or other refereed publications
- Postdoctoral experience at a premier institute of higher learning
- Current security clearance at the Secret level or above
Aptima will not compensate applicants for any travel or relocation expenses to fill this position. All applicants must be willing to work onsite in the DC area, Monday through Friday (no telecommuting or compressed schedules). Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and resume/vita in MS Word to email@example.com.
All applicants selected will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER M/F, VETS/DISABLED