ALTEK Information Technology, Inc. is currently recruiting for:
Title: Web / Portal Technology Center of Excellence Manager
Location: Owings Mills, MD
Duration: Permanent Position
The Technology Manager for CoE is responsible for carrying out and maintaining the directives of the company in a manner consistent with Company and Departmental guidelines, visions, mission statements and objectives. This position reports directly to a Sr. Director. This position provides overall leadership and strategic direction for the technology center of excellence that supports the ongoing maintenance of the Portals and Web Technologies, oversees the implementation of upgrades and new modules, and drives continuous improvement for the web platform based on the enterprise capability needs for the Portals and Web Platform. Coordinates platform maintenance and enhancement efforts to leverage enterprise resources, knowledge and best practices.
This person directly provides and drives direction for key technology infrastructure enhancements and ensures the successful transfer of knowledge from the Center of Excellence (CoE) to development teams and SSPs. Works closely with business and technical leadership, serving as an expert resource for the technology domain, bringing forth opportunities to leverage the Portals and Web Technologies platform to better the business and influencing decisions regarding technology changes.
Under the direction of a Sr. Director or above, responsibilities include but are not limited to serve as consultative resource to TOS staff by creating/developing/maintaining system design in areas such as infrastructure, security, operations, integration, execution and network, often spanning multiple heterogeneous platforms, and particularly as these designs apply to new business drivers such as ecommerce and other Web Technologies. Also performs or assists in problem resolution, recommending alternative techniques and providing training and guidance related to primary areas of responsibility and emerging web and portal technologies. Supports the efforts to select, evaluate and recommend third-party software solutions for business problems as appropriate. Resolves interoperability design and problems related to business applications and related middleware components. Builds a critical mass of support for a given technology in order to establish its mindshare, technical standards around technology and help mature the use of technology in the organization while working with the virtual teams.
Oversees Center of Excellence projects, including project planning, resource allocation, steering committee leadership, and team organizational structure management.
Develop, coordinate and manage projects and project plans for development; develop proposals and delivery tasks/issues for CoE projects. Maintains complete autonomy for the management of the Centers of Excellence to meet the needs of the business once strategic decisions are made. Estimates the technical costs of projects for stakeholders and project managers, confers with stakeholders to identify requirements (e.g., data, information needs, processing, specific output, functional and development of test data), and determines their desired outcomes in order to formulate the design of the system and/or offer alternative solutions in a timely manner. Conducts performance monitoring, capacity planning, system tuning, availability planning; Analyzes, designs, and documents information to create the applicable statements of work and the associated deliverables. Provides technical and business documents; including formal/informal oral presentations and standards development/documentation.
Supports and provides guidance for decisions within Centers of Excellence that will have enterprise impact. Proactively analyzes and reviews emerging we and portal technologies, changes in the Insurance/Healthcare industry and the business functions of various stakeholders, in order to determine if the advanced applications fit the needs of changing strategies, goals and objectives (develops and maintains technical knowledge through training, classes, …)
Identifies and acts upon opportunities for continuous improvement. Ensures reliability and availability of Portals and Web Platform, and work with infrastructure team on capacity planning. Encourages prudent risk taking, exploration of alternative approaches, and organizational learning. Demonstrates personal commitment to change through actions and words. Mobilizes others to support change through times of stress and uncertainty.
Assesses and develops strategies for achieving the application support needs of internal and/or external stakeholders. Seeks information about and identifies opportunities to support and enhance critical client business functions and processes. Matches business requirements to new or existing products and services. Coordinates business continuity efforts, including business resumption, disaster recovery, service-level agreements and vendor selection.
Uses professional knowledge, experience and technical expertise to respond to questions and facilitate problem solving. Generally advises, influences and guides customers and business partners over whom there is no direct authority. Supports technology life cycle planning, acquisitions, implementations, support and retirement.
Hires, recommend promotion, terminate, promote, and do performance reviews. Mentors new or junior associates on business knowledge, system peculiarities, and complex technical issues. Manages department budgets. Develops, directs, coaches, mentors and reinforces team members in line with the mission, vision, values, goals and performance standards of formal and informal teams. Encourages and facilitates cooperation and results orientation. Fosters an environment of collaboration. Inspires, motivates and guides team members. Fosters commitment, team spirit, pride and trust. Allocates team roles and accountabilities.
This position is also subject to being "on call" for emergency situations requiring immediate resolution. This position is subject to a level 6C security requirement.
A bachelor's or master's degree in computer science, information systems, business administration or related field, or equivalent work experience, is required
- 8 to 10 years of IT and business/industry work
- Min 5 to 6 years of experience with Web Sphere suite of products or other portal and application server technologies
- Three years of leadership responsibility managing midsize to large teams and influencing senior-level management and key stakeholders
- Maintenance and support experience, and detailed/comprehensive understanding of the Portals and Web Platforms (Web Sphere Portals) or similar enterprise application
- Hands-on experience with the followingPortals and Web technologies:
- Experience with Enterprise Service Bus (ESB) such as IBM Web Sphere Data Power or TIBCO
- Experience with Rules Engine, understanding /experience integrating one in a solution
- Hands on experience with Java, J2EE, EJB, JSP, JDBC, Java Servlets and AJAX
- Wide breadth of knowledge across many Java Open-Source technologies including Ant, Struts, Spring, Hibernate, XML parser technology, JUnit and HTTP Unit
- Hands on experience to deploy J2EE applications on different platform (like JBoss, Web Logic or Web Sphere)
- In-depth knowledge of databases (Oracle, MS SQL Server & DB2)
- Experience in supporting a broad range of technologies and application platforms, including but not limited to: PEGA, TIBCO, Web Sphere Application Server and Web Sphere Portal Server, JAVA, strong knowledge of open source technologies, knowledge of document management and document generation applications.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated strong verbal and written communication skills, along with problem-solving, negotiation and decision-making skills to influence management, as well as internal and external partners
- Demonstrated leadership abilities, as well as effectiveness in matrix management and team building
- Works well with others in an integrated team environment
- Self-motivated, and a problem solver
- Excellent project management skills, with demonstrated track record
- Excellent management and team-building skills
- Ability to analyze, understand and effectively communicate between business requirements and technical design and implementation
- Business application life cycle experience
- System development life cycle skills
- Working knowledge of applications being supported
- Working knowledge of platform and technologies supporting the business application
***For immediate consideration PLEASE apply directly to this posting with your most up-to-date resume with (9092-WPTM) in subject line of your email
***You may also apply to this posting with your most up-to-date resume at: http://www.al-tekinc.com/jobs/jobs/view/589/web-portal-technology-center-of-excellence-manager