Rentrak measures 85,000 movie screens in 18,000 theaters in 36 countries. That means that every time a customer purchases a movie ticket our system process that data.
Rentrak measures viewing on over 20 million televisions through the United States. That means that every time one of those viewers presses a button on their remote control, Rentrak gets that data.
Our measurement doesn’t stop with big screens or home televisions. We get data for internet television, mobile devices and video rentals. So when we say our engineers deal with BIG DATA, we mean that Rentrak processes more transactions a day than every major credit card company combined.
Rentrak is currently seeking talented software engineers to transform that several hundred terabytes of information into interactive reports and data feeds for the entertainment industry.
What does it take to be a Big Data software engineer with Rentrak? Well, we’re looking for developers to help solve hard problems in a fast paced environment. If you like the following then this job’s for you:
- Work in small teams practicing an agile Kanban process.
- Collaborate with business owners to formulate the best solutions for our customers with new and innovative products.
- Use your technical talents to dive deep into our parallel processing and big data storage technologies.
- Help drive the evolution of our processing/summarization engine as we double and triple the amount of raw viewing data and at the same time grow the number of viewer dimensions that we report on.
- Investigate and leverage new technologies towards the goal of improving performance, scalability and adaptability.
- Passion for learning the business domain to ensure Rentrak's applications are targeted to meet user needs.
- Ability to break down technical tasks and lead small teams of developers through the software development lifecycle
If this sounds like the kind of work you want to do here are some of the requirements we are looking for:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related major or years of equivalent experience and training.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience with large data sets utilizing SQL based databases. PostgreSQL experience a plus.
- Experience with MapReduce technologies (Hadoop, Pig, Hive, Spark).
- Machine learning, information retrieval and data mining (OLAP)
- Experience in the design, development and release of an enterprise scale application.
- We are an Open Source shop, so experience with Linux and friends is desirable.
- Today we utilize C++, Perl and PostgreSQL but tomorrow we may be using Scala, Java and/or NoSQL. What can you bring to the table ?
So what does Rentrak have to offer you?
The answer is simple - our unique environment! We operate with the flexibility and energy of a start-up organization but have the backing of a 30 year old publicly traded company. We're inventing new products and have a solid customer base eager to use them!
We also understand and value our engineers. Our engineers work hard here, taking stunningly large amounts of data and doing an amazing job of turning it into critical systems for the movie, television and cable industry. So we know that hard work has to be balanced out with fun and play. What does that mean?
- We game on our Xbox 360 in our relaxation lounge while enjoying the free soda/juice, free fruit and free snacks. (Yes, we know that well-fed engineers write the best code!)
- We have debates about whether it is harder to Ascend in NetHack or make it through Hardcore Inferno in Diablo 3.
- We have company sponsored hackathons; sometimes coding, sometimes playing esoteric board or card games. All while enjoying pizza, chips, soda and beer.
- We've gone to movie premieres, played at fun centers, gone crazy at laser tag, jumped out of airplanes, run Hood to Coast, rented bowling alleys...the list goes on and on....
If that wasn't enough, Rentrak is located in beautiful Portland, Oregon. Portland is known for its outdoor activities, creative food culture, and lively arts scene. Rentrak also has easy access to Portland's mass transit system, and has a large number of bike commuters.
We offer a friendly team oriented workplace and our benefits are among the best in the business including matching 401K program, medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance, wellness programs, tuition reimbursement, an extremely generous vacation package and more.
Rentrak Corporation proudly supports Affirmative Action. Rentrak Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of background investigation and pre-employment drug screen. Rentrak participates in eVerify.