iDirect continues to fuel its engineering growth and seeks an innovative, creative and experienced hardware RF design engineer who is ready for the challenges, responsibilities, and rewards that come with working in a high-energy, fast-paced environment. iDirect is dedicated to providing next generation solutions for broadband IP networking via satellite networks. As the leading innovators in this new space, our diverse and talented team of Internet, satellite and telecommunications professionals continues to break new ground and create significant opportunities for network operators, for service providers and resellers, and for corporate networking professionals.
The senior analog/RF design engineer works within the iDirect Remote Terminal development group. The candidate will be responsible for participating in the specification, design, development, documentation and support of comprehensive satellite communications terminals incorporating power, digital and RF designs from concept through completion. He/she will be a highly motivated self-starter with strong analytical, written and oral communication skills, and works well in a team environment. If you enjoy working in a fast-paced environment with the smartest team, and the very latest technology, then this is the job for you!
Scope of Responsibility/Expectation:
- Designs, develops, and documents RF board level hardware design projects that constitute a portion of a larger project, from concept through to production.
- Enhances and improves existing technologies for new subsystems.
- Coordinates and participates in hardware product development activities.
- Ability to lead the development of circuit design, including schematic and printed circuit layout through detailed knowledge of the requirements and the complexity of the task at hand.
- Performs lab testing (DVT, HVT and SVT) and troubleshooting as needed.
- Attends and participates in system-level design meetings in order to address design issues early in the product development process.
- Develops positive relationships with other engineering disciplines and other iDirect functions, such as PCB, hardware, mechanical, firmware, software, system test, production test and mechanical engineers involved in the design process.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education: BS/MS in Electronic or Communications Engineering ? MS preferred
Experience: This is a hardware engineering position in product development and requires related work experience in the following areas:
- >10 years of experience in RF / Mixed signal design and layout.
- Proven results of having contributed to entire product development life cycle.
- Solid experience with RF modulation concepts, BER, Rx sensitivity, Digital/Analog Filters, RF Power concepts, test methodology and test equipment. Understands tuners and demodulators IC's.
- Must be experienced with RF design software, such as ADS, Momentum, HFFS, Cadence, and APD
- Experience with schematic capture software, preferably Mentor Graphic?s DXD.
- Knowledge of signal integrity and EMI/EMC issues.
- Must also be proficient in the use of RF lab test equipment such as a Network Analyzer, Spectrum Analyzer, RF Signal Generator, Power Meter, and Oscilloscope.
- Appreciation for DFx (design for cost, test, manufacturing).
- Basic software development experience ? ability to write Python scripts.
- Working knowledge of volume production, process and quality; RMAs, Functional Test Fixtures.
- Familiarity with electronics manufacturing process.
- Familiarity with IP Networking protocols and standards.
- Experience in communications background ? satellite or wireless preferred.
- Experience developing and maintaining comprehensive test plans.
- Ability to foresee and navigate around the risks behind product development.
- Ability to architect, review and design circuits integrating Digital, Analog and RF circuitry into challenging space requirements.
- Possession of excellent organizational skills for documentation and ensuring that all work and knowledge is captured.
- Has a ?can do? attitude - willing to dive into and take ownership of critical design issues.
- Passionate about electronics and the design process required to bring a new product to life.
- Performs root cause analysis to identify system or product issues.
- Must be able to look under the hood to appreciate the low level functionality of the tools.
- Must have strong interpersonal skills and be self-motivated.
- Completes tasks in a timely manner.
- Communicates effectively on a technical level.
- Can work under pressure in high visibility situations.
- Flexible ? able to quickly adapt to changing conditions and make decisions based on incomplete data.
- While we emphasis the ability to work in a team, the candidate must also be effective as a single contributor as the situation warrants.
- Willing to take direction and follow formal design process.