The IT Support Center Specialist II serves as a frontline technical specialist assigned to the ComIT Support Center; directly responds to calls for assistance on IT service interruptions/outages, or IT applications, products, and services; and assists subordinate Specialists as needed. When a client call cannot be quickly resolved by the incumbent, the call may be assigned to another Specialist according to the technical specialty required, or elevated to the correct support group. In addition to the direct support responsibilities outlined above, the incumbent maintains the content of the technical information databases used by the Support Center and may provide support for standard operational and management reporting needs as required. The Specialist may also supervise subordinate staff according to their technical specialty and may provide technical training to clients and Support Center personnel, and be assigned various project responsibilities. Staff assigned to this position will troubleshoot customer technical incidents in a remote support environment and provide limited desktop support to clients to assist in resolving and/or analyzing reported incidents.
Knowledge-Skills-Abilities Required to Perform Satisfactorily
1. Knowledge of industry best practices and standards for an IT Support Center Specialist.
2. Knowledge of call center technologies used within an IT Support Center/Service Desk.
3. Knowledge of IT Support Center/Service Desk software and monitoring tools.
4. Knowledge of industry standards and best practices for IT Service Management.
5. Knowledge of IT Support Center/Service Desk operational policies, standards and procedures.
6. Knowledge of departmental policies and procedures.
7. Knowledge in one or more specific technical areas of expertise to include Communications, Networks, Platforms/OS, Accounts Management, Database Management Systems, Hardware and/or Applications.
8. Knowledge of reporting tools and database structured query language(s) used in advanced report writing.
1. Skill in providing exceptional customer service.
2. Skill in assisting users reporting service interruptions, outages or making service requests for IT applications, products and services.
3. Skill in adhering to procedures related to call recording, classification, prioritization, and escalation.
4. Skill in providing first-level troubleshooting and escalation support for incidents and service requests.
5. Skill in resolving client calls, incidents, and service tickets using advanced analytical and problem-solving skills in a specific area of technical expertise.
6. Skill in adhering to and training others in procedures related to a specific area of technical expertise.
7. Skill in oral and written communications.
8. Skill in providing technical support via multiple channels (phone, e-mail, instant messaging, web, and remote desktop).
9. Skill in accurately documenting and maintaining technical solutions within a technical information database (knowledge base).
10. Skill in managing and prioritizing work assignments in a fast-paced work environment.
11. Skill in maintaining accurate, current information within a Service Desk Management System.
12. Skill in opening and closing service calls within a Service Desk Management System.
13. Skill in managing the work flow of subordinate staff.
14. Skill in using reporting tools and database structured query language(s) for advanced report writing.
1. Ability to assist other Support Center Specialists in responding directly to client calls.
2. Ability to provide rapid response to reports of service interruptions, outages and service requests received via multiple communications channels (telephone, e-mail, chat, instant messaging, and web).
3. Ability to appropriately record required user and incident information in the Service Desk Management System.
4. Ability to troubleshoot and monitor customer technical incidents in a remote support environment.
5. Ability to help customers resolve technical incidents within a timely manner.
6. Ability to document incidents, requests and resolutions within Service Desk Management System.
7. Ability to analyze logs and spot common trends and underlying problems.
8. Ability to determine the most effective manner to resolve the client’s reported incident.
9. Ability to elevate complex and/or high priority incidents to the appropriate support groups for resolution.
10. Ability to track the status of all open service tickets using the Service Desk Management System.
11. Ability to verify that suggested solutions effectively resolve the users’ reported incidents.
12. Ability to effectively communicate with customers via multiple communications channels.
13. Ability to maintain effective working relationships with management, department, user and contracted personnel.
14. Ability to receive, execute and effectively communicate complex oral and written instructions.
15. Ability to perform application, hardware, software and connectivity troubleshooting within a Support Center (remote support) environment.
16. Ability to independently resolve most assigned service tickets using available resources.
17. Ability to manage and maintain routine and complex reports using approved reporting tool set.
18. Ability to answer phones and provide phone support for extended periods of time.
19. Ability to sit and/or work at a computer or office desk for extended periods of time.
20. Ability to work varied hours in addition to normal work schedule.
Requires any combination of education and experience (above the high school level) equivalent to a minimum of four (4) years in fields utilizing the knowledge, skills and abilities listed above; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities. Prefer recent work experience within a Technical Call Center/Support Center/Help Desk in a job role equivalent to Support Center Specialist, Help Desk Analyst, Service Desk Technician, Help Desk Technician or Tier 1/ Level 1 Support. Must possess a valid Virginia or North Carolina driver's license. This is an Alpha I position which may require employee to work during emergency situations for work periods outside of normal working hours.
NTS is an equal opportunity employer and supports a Drug-Free Workplace.