Senior Automation Engineer
Connections Education is a leading, fully-accredited provider of high-quality, highly accountable virtual education solutions for students in grades K–12. Connections Education is part of the global learning company Pearson (NYSE:PSO) and is committed to expanding quality education through technology and helping students achieve both academic and personal success.
Since 2001, the company’s Connections Academy division has delivered individualized learning to students through full-time virtual public schools. In the 2013-14 school year, 26 Connections Academy virtual public schools will operate in 23 states and expect to serve more than 50,000 students in grades K-12 (some schools do not serve all grades) from across the U.S.
The Connections Learning by Pearson division delivers a full range of quality, affordable, and turnkey online learning solutions to the K-12 education community and individuals including online courses, a program for homebound students, a digital learning platform, a private international online school, and blended Nexus Academy schools. More than 1,000 schools, school districts, state departments of education and other educational institutions, serving tens of thousands of students throughout the U.S. and beyond, utilize Connections Learning by Pearson products and services.
Connections Education was named as one of the Best Places to Work by Baltimore Magazine in spring 2013, and was also named a Top Workplace by The Baltimore Sun in December 2013.
Working from our office in Columbia, Maryland the Senior Automation Engineer will be responsible for the quality of our software applications by implementing automation procedures. The Senior Automation Engineer will build strong business relationships with Managers on all Agile teams, with all members of those teams, and also with the Technical Support and Business Users in order to ensure the QC processes are integrated throughout the software development lifecycle and that the overall quality of the product is constantly improving.
• Develops and maintains new and existing scalable automation frameworks and solution sets for web applications;
• Participates in all testing activities in order to meet overall software release goals: Test Planning (Functional, Integration, Load/Performance, Acceptance, Regression, etc.), Test Case design, Test Execution, Test Reporting, Defect Tracking, Error Handling, Test Environment evolution and maintenance, etc.;
• Works with teams to architect an automation framework for load/performance and stress testing;
• Enforces and promotes the QC process frameworks, procedures, policies, and standards;
• Develops, designs, and implements automation test strategies, test tools and test scripts per specification and design;
• Determines solutions to obstacles during the test process;
• Enhances team accomplishments and competence by productively working with other members of the team;
• Adheres and contributes to quality control policies, procedures, and standards;
• Maintains technical knowledge regarding the evolution of automated testing approaches, tools, and processes by participating in educational opportunities, reading professional publications, maintaining personal networks, and participating in professional organizations;
• Provides training and support for entry and mid-level automation engineers;
• Accomplishes department and organization missions by completing tasks as needed; and
• Other duties as assigned.
Requirements The individual in this position will be working with a team of other developers, DBAs, testers, and designers. Due to the nature of this position, the applicant will need the ability to work from home or during off-hours as necessary. Candidates must have:
• At least 10 years experience as a software/web tester
• At least 8 years experience in automated testing
• Excellent knowledge of test automation design, strategy, planning, best-practice, and principles
• Experience with various automation tools (i.e. Selenium, TFS, telerik)
• Experience writing test plans
• Experience testing web applications
• Experience with writing and executing CRUD SQL statements
• Experience implementing testing processes, procedures, and strategies
• Experience with BDD and TDD
• Designed, implemented and delivered of scalable, maintainable, configurable, portable and robust test automation frameworks
• Experience coding automated test scripts using programming languages (i.e., Java, C#, VB) with recommended coding standards and best-practices
• Experience practicing Agile methodologies
• Experience analyzing business needs, developing solutions and writing business requirements.
• An extremely detail-oriented work ethic
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• High-speed Internet access at home and a personal computer
• The ability to demonstrate work experience by providing examples, samples, and source code
• Experience with load testing tools, test case management tools, etc.
• A passion for testing and for doing things the right way
• Excellent skills in conflict resolution and problem solving