Business Intelligence Analyst and Developer (Data Scientist)
Our client a world class performing arts institution, has an immediate opening for a highly motivated individual to become an integral part of the IT Team as a Business Intelligence Analyst and Developer. This is an opportunity for a real go-getter to have a significant mission impact and broad exposure to various technologies, business areas, and all aspects of the development cycle.
The Analyst/Developer will use sound development methodologies to develop and support Business Intelligence solutions that enable data driven decision making and predictive modeling. To implement these solutions, the Analyst/Developer will analyze data from multiple internal and external sources, design and develop the data warehouse, Analytics tools utilizing dimensional data modeling, ETL tasks, and reports, dashboards and analysis tools. The Analyst/Developer will also perform data mining tasks and develop predictive models.
The position requires extensive experience in the development and design of business intelligence applications and usage of data warehousing, data mining and modeling, and analytic tools. The Analyst/Developer will perform project analysis, design, development, build, test, documentation, implementation and maintenance of Business Intelligence tools utilizing tools such as the Microsoft Business Intelligence Stack (SQL Server Analysis Services, Reporting Services, PowerPivot/PowerView), SharePoint, SPSS, and Pyramid Analytics, against various data sources including Financial, Human Resources, Customer, Sales, Fundraising and other related internal and external data sources.
Strong business skills should be equally balanced with strong technical skills. A proven track record of providing business value through business intelligence solutions is essential.
An important aspect of this position includes ensuring that solutions are fully documented, including a data dictionary, ETL strategy documents, conformed dimension templates, metric templates, etc. The candidate will also perform maintenance and support of the BI applications.
Responsibilities will include but not be limited to the following:
- Effectively communicating with business users to gather requirements and translate into BI tools including logical and physical multi-dimensional data models that support business analytical and reporting needs.
- Prepare conceptual, logical and physical design documents and review with IT team members and business users. Lead and participate in design/code review, resolving ambiguities and conflicts, and ensure requirements are complete.
- Develop and implement an ETL solution adhering to enterprise development standards.
- Develop OLAP databases using Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services.
- Investigate data quality issues reported by users and present a detailed data analysis to business users.
- Develop Stored Procedures, User-Defined Functions and other objects in Microsoft SQL Server.
- Develop reports and dashboards using Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services, Microsoft Office SharePoint Server, and other tools.
- Develop Dashboard and report layouts to maximize usability and business relevance
- Perform data analysis and data mining and predictive and prescription modeling.
- Assist in continuous improvement efforts in enhancing performance and providing increased functionality of the BI environment
- Provide performance tuning assistance and proper indexing and partitioning
- Work with developers to assist in maintaining and creating systems based on existing architecture and environments to solve business needs
- Assist in the coaching and training of end-users in the use of business intelligence tools to enhance business decision-making capability.
- Contribute to estimation of project duration, resource load and cost. Support preparation of project plans. Report on progress and deliverables against plan.
- Production On-Call responsibility.
To qualify for consideration for this position, you must possess technical experience with one or more ad-hoc query and enterprise reporting tools and possess a large percentage of the following:
- Four-year degree in Statistics, Computer Science, or similar structured discipline, or equivalent experience and training.
- 5+ years of Microsoft SQL Server Applications and stored procedure development experience in a complex, integrated environment. 2+ years experience in decision support / business intelligence environments utilizing tools such as SQL Server Analysis Services, Dimensional Insight, Cognos, Business Objects, or similar.
- Experience with performance tuning and optimization
- Experience developing and maintaining information tools using the Microsoft Business Intelligence stack. SPSS or other data mining experience is a plus.
- Experience with MS Business Intelligence Development Studio and MS Visual Studio
- Knowledge of database administration concepts and security models
- Experience in analyzing, collecting and producing business requirements.
- Experience with Quality Assurance, Change Management, Source Code Control, and SDLC methodologies
- Proven ability to effectively communicate with cross-functional teams and objectively present pros and cons of alternatives
- Ability to assess and provide guidance on reducing risks of various alternatives
- Strong leadership and coordination skills (people and project)
- Ability to work well with business users from different disciplines with varying degrees of technical experience and to effectively communicate about technology in business terms
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
If you are interested in this position, email your resume to Jshepherd@verus.com