Manager, Software Development (Web), Seattle
Work at SMART Technologies, and you could be part of a team the redefines the way the world works and learns. SMART creates leading edge collaborative solutions for both the education and enterprise markets. We are connected, curious and courageous. Join us and work for a true technology company where your ideas can make a difference.
SMART is recruiting a Manager, Software Development for its Seattle office.
We are looking for a Manager, Software Development to join our team in Seattle as we continue to change the way the world works and learns. We deliver industry leading technology that takes interaction to new levels.
Our applications require immensely scalable cloud hosted web services that focus on real-time user interaction to improve the way people collaborate. At SMART, you can make a difference in the lives of children as you build solutions for 21st century classrooms.
If you are a software development manager with experience in web, mobile or embedded development we want to connect with you.
Reporting to the director, product development (Education Software), you will be responsible for managing a team of software development professionals who use the latest technologies and tools, to build dynamic web applications used around the world.
If you have the following qualifications and are curious about working for a true technology company then be courageous enough to connect…
Responsibilities and accountabilities
Your responsibilities will include the following:
- Applying your insight and experience to create a shared technical vision for your team that will be communicated through a technical roadmap.
- Promoting the importance of innovation within your team through personal understanding of new technologies and their applicability towards SMART and through direct technical contributions.
- Leading the delivery of web service releases into commercial projects on time, on quality, and on margin. To accomplish this you will be required to drive team metrics on bug count, test coverage, and progress against user story backlog commitments.
- Setting a high standard for software development best practices such as design reviews, code reviews, and test driven development, ensuring your team adheres to established “done” done criteria each sprint.
- Mentoring a high performance team that thrives on delivering high quality and innovative web-based and mobile solutions. You will ensure continual improvement of your team through regular performance coaching, evaluations and goal setting activities.
- Actively participating in the hiring process and growing the team by recruiting great software developers.
- Stay abreast of the latest trends and advances in web-based application development including best practices for developer tools, frameworks and libraries, testing approaches and performance optimization and measurement.
This is a management position and responsible for directly supervising a team of up to 10 software developers. To be successful in this role you will be able to demonstrate previous experience managing teams of this size.
Required skills and experience:
- A University degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or Electrical Engineering
- At least 8 years of industry experience, including at least 3 years of management and solutions architecture experience
- Proven track record of building scalable web applications
- A working understanding of Web-specific security and privacy concerns
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Strong initiative and ability to work in a dynamic and fast-changing environment with minimal direct supervision
- Experience with Agile software development processes
Nice to have:
- Previous experience with rich client-side frameworks like Ember.js, jQuery, Google Web Toolkit , Adobe Flex, Microsoft Silverlight
- Attention to detail with a focus on visual design and creating the best possible user experience
- Experience with distributed systems, cloud computing technologies (EC2 and\or GAE) and web protocols and standards such as HTTP, XML, and RESTful Web Services
- A strong interest and passion for multi-touch interaction, whether on large surfaces or constrained display devices
- Experience working with senior management in influencing product strategy and roadmap