SweetLabs is a 5 year old, well funded software company, backed by Google and Intel, with a successful track record of performance in the marketplace. Initial products are launched, revenue is established, strategic partnerships are signed and momentum is fierce! The company’s core product development team is based in the heart of Seattle’s Pioneer Square and they are growing their team to deliver on major distribution deals.
The SweetLabs engineering office is in the heart of downtown Seattle (Pioneer Square) and the team is made up of experienced engineers who are genuinely passionate about solving complex web/big data problems using the most innovative technology and tools available. And they also value doing innovative engineering at a company that actually brings products to market (good revenue means more intellectually challenging problems to solve, right?). The Seattle engineering team is predominantly focused on a product called Pokki. Pokki is delivered to users as a start button replacement and is being shipped as the default Win8 start button for one major PC manufacturer with more on the way. You can read more about this OEM partnership and Pokki integration in this Tech Crunch article. What’s most compelling (technically) about Pokki is the development & distribution platform that brings HTML5 (Chromium-like) app experiences to the desktop, which includes an App Marketplace, Arcade Marketplace and robust App Recommendation Engine.
The backend system is in re-design phase and the team needs a strong Python Developer that will play a key role in developing a large-scale server side solution to accommodate Pokki's rapid growth and distribution. The ideal candidate will specialize in middle-tier/backend development in a Linux environment and Python and C++ are core programming skills. Bonus points for candidates with big data project experience with technologies like Hadoop/Hive, Mysql, Redis, Impala, and working with large data sets (hundreds of gigabytes moving towards terrabytes quickly). Any experience with Cloud based architectures and High Availability/Large Scale API's is valuable, but not a firm requirement.
What makes this role unique is the opportunity to incorporate cutting edge technologies into actual products, work with a group of brilliant, down-to-earth technologists with a genuine passion for innovation, and represent a company that values doing the right thing for the consumer and for their employees. Add in the top-notch salary and benefits, a flexible schedule and strong financial backing and you will quickly see how an opportunity like this is rare.
· 3-5 years experience in middle tier and backend development
· Recent experience in a Linux development environment
· Proficiency in Python (will consider C or C++ as a transferable skill if there is strong interest in developing Python proficiency)
· Proficiency in C and/or C++
· Experience with large data systems (Databases, storage, querying)
· Demonstrates a solution-oriented, language agnostic approach to software development and passion for designing software using new, cutting-edge technologies and techniques (ie. Node.js, NoSQL, Redis, Mongo, Couch, Hive, Hadoop, Map Reduce, PHP, Symfony2 framework, etc.).
· Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or equivalent technical field is required.
NICE-TO HAVE (not required)
· Large-scale, data-driven Linux development experience
· Experience with large data systems (databases, storage, querying)
· Experience working with unstructured data