Cliffs is looking for bright, motivated engineering students with a strong interest in the mining industry. Our internship program is twelve weeks in duration, in which you will receive important industry training and get involved in meaningful real-world projects like planning a program, designing a process, or implementing a technology. The culmination of your program will include an opportunity to present your work to management.
Summary of Principal Functions: The Mining Engineering Intern will be responsible for supporting the site Mine Planning and Engineering staff and completing several special projects and initiatives.
* Participate in the design of the weekly, 30 day, 60 day, 90 day, and annual mine plans
* Using data provided from the mine planning team and geological engineering team, design appropriate blast patterns for weekly dig plans
* Obtain production data and track in mine plans
* Conduct analysis of production data and present to operations and management staff
* Maintain weekly mining plan
* Use ground-based laser scanning tools to create topographical maps of mine pits
* Conduct assessment of material moved using mine pit map updates
* Use laser scanning tools to analyze blast swells
* Make recommendations for future blast patterns
* Participate in regular mine planning meetings with Engineering and site management
* Other duties as assigned by the Mine Planning and Engineering staff
* Past Project Examples:
+ Storm water runoff improvement design
+ Diamond drill core logging
+ Large chunk drilling and blasting in the mine
+ Data integrity verification
+ Justification of new equipment calculations
+ Sampling program oversight and administration
+ Short, mid, and long-range mine planning effort aid
+ Haulage infrastructure design
Education Needed: Candidate must be enrolled in an accredited school or university and currently pursuing a degree in Mining, Mining Engineering, Mining Technology or other related degree.
Experience Needed: No previous experience required. Vulcan software experience preferred.