This employment opportunity is in the ESH&H Directorate located at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (www.llnl.gov) in Livermore, CA.
The successful candidate will be an employee of Akima Infrastructure Services, a premier government contractor at the Laboratory that partners with the
Lab by finding motivated and well qualified candidates to support the success of their mission. Per Akima*s contract the candidate must be able to meet
pre-employment requirements including any required physicals for the position, a drug screen, a background investigation under clearance requirements
from the Department of Energy, and the successful candidate must be a US citizen and at least 18 years of age. The employee will take day to day work
direction from a Lawrence Livermore National Security (LLNS), LLC (prime Laboratory contractor to DOE) technical personnel. Pay, benefits and Human
Resources activities will be provided by Akima (physically located at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory).
Environment, Safety and Health (ES&H) Team 2 within the ES&H Directorate has an opening for an Industrial Hygienist (IH) / Industrial Safety Professional
(IS). This position will work under minimal direction and provide advanced IH and IS support to LLNL programs and operations requiring an advanced
application of practices and procedures. Interactions will be with all levels of personnel and management from the ES&H Directorate and LLNL programs,
and external regulatory agencies. This position will report to the ES&H Team 2 Leader.
This position may require the successful candidate have the flexibility to work overtime, shift and or weekends to accomplish goals. The successful
candidate will be required to pass various on-site training modules to pursue work assignments.
- Provide IH and IS support to LLNL programs and operations in specific areas of assignment.
- Investigate accidents/incidents and reports of occupational injury/illness for possible causes, prepare necessary documentation and recommend to
management the appropriate measures to eliminate or mitigate reoccurrence.
- Conduct health and safety (H&S) evaluations and inspections of buildings, facilities, equipment, and apparatus to identify H&S related
hazards/deficiencies; and provide program management with recommendations to correct.
- Evaluate industrial and construction-related activities and provide program management recommendation to resolve H&S related issues.
- Review results of H&S compliance audits and inspections with management, provide recommendations for correction (and prevention of recurrence) of non-
compliance findings, and identify necessary follow-up measures to ensure future compliance.
- Advise Laboratory scientists, engineers, and other programmatic personnel in developing solutions to H&S related problems.
- Write and review technical reports, and review and evaluate new H&S standards.
- Evaluate safety procedures, designs, drawings, and diagrams for conformance to DOE standards and other applicable requirements.
- Prepare and review IH and IS related safety documentation and other technical documents in collaboration with program management.
- Develop a Discipline Action Plan (DAP) for specific areas of coverage using the generic DAPs provided by the IH and IS Sections.
- Provide oversight and guidance to the H&S technicians on sampling, DAP duties and other H&S related programs as well as LLNL program concerns
related to IH and IS.
- Review sample results and make applicable recommendations to the program to control associated hazards.
- Evaluate materials for H&S effects through literature searches and/or coordinate and conduct special studies on potential occupational H&S problems.
- Provide emergency response support.
- Develop and present safety courses in IH, IS or related topics.
- Mentor less experienced H&S personnel.
- Satisfactorily complete the Industrial Hygiene and Industrial Safety Discipline qualification plan requirements.
- Perform all assignments in accordance with ES&H, security, and business practice requirements and policies.
Essential Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Bachelor*s degree in Industrial Hygiene, Occupational Safety and Health or other scientific, technical or health and safety related field.
- 5+ years of experience in comprehensive IH and IS with a thorough knowledge of state and federal regulations and other consensus organizations.
- 5+ years of experience successfully working potential compliance issues with program customers, and external inspectors and regulators.
- 5+ years of experience in providing emergency response and participation in the investigation of incidents or accidents involving hazards relating to
industrial hygiene and industrial safety.
- 5+ years of experience and demonstrated ability to negotiate, recommend and implement IH and IS requirements at the programmatic and facility level.
- Demonstrated effective analytical, decision-making and problem-solving skills to evaluate, interpret and recommend actions/solutions to complex IH and IS
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively write, present, explain and communicate technical IH and IS information to all
levels of personnel.
- Demonstrated effective organizational skills to coordinate multiple and frequently conflicting, concurrent tasks, with good follow-through.
- Significant experience working independently and in a team environment with a broad cross-section of people and organizations, managing complex
projects, and meeting schedules.
- Experience with personal computer systems and associated software including Microsoft Office e.g., Word, PowerPoint, Outlook and Excel.
Desired Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Master*s degree in Industrial Hygiene, Occupational Safety and Health or other scientific, technical or health and safety related field.
- Ability to lead the application and development of principles, theories and concepts in a creative and innovative fashion.
- Certification by the American Board of Industrial Hygienist (CIH) and/or the Board of Certified Safety Professionals (CSP).
- Knowledge of DOE Orders.
We invite you to visit our website (www.slp-support.com/careers)**to review open positions that may interest you. When applying to open positions, please
tailor your resume to the specific position(s) you are interested in.