The Business Process Analyst’s role is to devise and design business process requirements for all IT-related business, financial, and operations systems critical to core organizational functions. This includes researching and analyzing data in support of business functions, process knowledge, and systems requirements. The Business Process Analyst is also responsible for proactively generating and compiling reports based on his or her findings, complete with recommended improvements to – or new requirements for – business processes and operational procedures. This individual will apply proven communication, analytical, and problem-solving skills to help maximize the benefit of IT system investments and to assist in implementing new computer systems.
Strategy & Planning
- Chart existing business processes in order to define current business activities for the development of procedures and models.
- Meet with decision makers, systems owners, and end users to define business, financial, and operations requirements and systems goals.
- Research, review, and analyze the effectiveness and efficiency of existing processes and develop strategies for enhancing or further leveraging these processes.
- Prototype new procedures for the purpose of enhancing business processes, operations, and information process flow.
- Prepare and deliver reports, recommendations, or alternatives for improving processes in operating systems across the organization.
- Perform cost-benefit and return on investment (ROI) analyses for proposed changes to aid management in making implementation decisions.
- Identify and establish scope and parameters of process analysis in order to define impact, outcome criteria, and measure-taking actions.
Acquisition & Deployment
- Collaborate in the planning, design, development, and deployment of new applications, and enhancements to existing applications.
- Assist in conducting research on software and hardware products to justify recommendations and to support purchasing efforts.
- Develop, standardize, and maintain new or improved processes based on findings and analysis.
- Communicate process changes, enhancements, and modifications – verbally or through written documentation – to management, peers, staff, and other employees so that issues and solutions are understood.
- Create process models, specifications, diagrams, and charts to provide direction to system programmers.
- Develop budgets and timeframes for process changes in order to support company objectives.
- Liaise with various business groups in the organization to facilitate implementation of new or improved business processes.
- Coordinate and perform in-depth tests, including end-user reviews, for modified and new processes, and other post-implementation support.
- Provide guidance and/or instruction to junior staff members.
Formal Education & Certification
- College diploma or university degree in the field of education, business administration, computer science, finance, or management information systems and 5 years related work experience.
Knowledge & Experience
- Proven experience with business and technical requirements analysis, business process modeling/mapping, methodology development, and data modeling.
- Experience overseeing the design, development, and implementation of software and hardware solutions, systems, or products.
- Proven experience in the operation and analysis of database hardware, software, and standards, as well as data retrieval methodologies and mainframe applications.
- Extensive practical knowledge in importing data for use in report software, spreadsheets, graphs, and flowcharts.
- Ability to create systematic and manual operations procedures in both technical and user-friendly language.
- Ability to apply statistical and other research methods into systems issues and products as required.
- Working technical knowledge of Java, C, C++ programming languages.
- Working knowledge of network and PC operating systems.
- Working knowledge of current network hardware, protocols, and standards.
- Extensive experience with core software applications.
- Demonstrated project management skills and project management software skills.
- Excellent understanding of the organization’s goals and objectives.
- Experience with ERP implementations, HRIS and finance systems.
- Able to exercise independent judgement and take action on it.
- Excellent analytical, mathematical, and creative problem-solving skills.
- Excellent listening, interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Logical and efficient, with keen attention to detail.
- Highly self motivated and directed.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks while under pressure.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.