Amherst is hiring for a Data Scientist to build large data sets and organize, extract, manipulate and maintain that data as it relates to borrower behavior and trends within a portfolio of bonds.
Founded in 1993, Amherst is a financial services holdings company headquartered in Austin, TX. We offer a wide array of brokerage, investment banking and advisory services covering the residential, commercial mortgage and structured finance markets for global institutional investors. We’ve developed cutting edge proprietary analytical tools and methodologies that give us the competitive edge in our broker dealer, origination and asset manager lines of business. We are a growing company with an ongoing focus of maintaining a culture of fast paced energy and agility that allows us to advance our offerings and technology.
- Influence and/or support decision makers to use appropriate analytics tools and processes to perform advanced data analysis
- Provide analytics expertise, direction and guidance to technical team and business users to enable efficient and robust analytics capabilities and solutions
- Assist in forecasting computational needs and capabilities to address future business requirements
- Develop statistical forecasting models and tools
- Identify, evaluate, recommend and leverage emerging advanced analytics and big data technologies and methods
- Master’s or PhD in statistics, mathematics, physics, or computer science or a BS degree in related fields with extensive hands on work experience
- Proficient in coding advanced modeling concepts and mathematical equations as well as optimization algorithms
- Strong knowledge of data mining algorithms including decision trees, probability networks, association rules, clustering, regression and neural networks
- Strong knowledge of database modeling and data warehousing principles with strong SQL skills Experience in software engineering using one or more object oriented programming languages such as C#, C++ or Java
- Must be a self-starter and motivate to learn new techniques, skills, and knowledge required by his or her duties and responsibilities
- Must be a proactive, creative problem solver with strong analytical skills to define problem space as well as potential solutions
- Experience in the financial services industry, especially a background in quantitative model development, is strongly preferred
Our team is driven by an entrepreneurial spirit where opportunities for continual career advancement and cross departmental promotions are available and prominent for top performers. We offer a collaborative work environment where individual contributors will work on high profile projects that will have a direct impact on shaping residential and commercial real estate investments. If you are smart, excel at math and strive to solve complex business problems with creative solutions, then we want to talk to you.
We are located in a newly remodeled and spacious office with breathtaking views of Lake Austin and the 360 Bridge in the rolling hills of Northwest Austin. In addition to continued professional development, we also offer excellent salaries, semi-annual bonuses, a comprehensive benefits package and catered lunches daily!