Ruby on Rails Developer
San Francisco, CA
Additionally, you'll collaborate with a crack team of Rails programmers on apps that create and distribute instructional content. They're building tools to solve some pretty fascinating, challenging problems, such as how to determine which how-to topics to produce, how to make video creation easier, and how get eyeballs on the videos once they're live. Whether you're interested in high-traffic, consumer-facing sites or the gritty details of our back-end infrastructure, they have got a plethora of projects ready for you. Regardless of what you're working on, you'll always be deeply involved in the decisions that shape all the company products.
What we*re looking for:
* Experience with at least one production-level, high-traffic web application
* Proficiency with cross-browser CSS and HTML
* Understanding of scaling techniques such as caching, database query optimization, and asynchronous/background job queues
Bonus points for:
* Rails experience
* Deep knowledge of HTTP (e.g., when to use what response codes, how cache headers work, etc.)
* Experience with any NoSQL database.
* App deployment to the cloud (Amazon, Rackspace, Heroku, etc.)
* Knowledge of a non-Rails Ruby web framework, especially Sinatra
* Extensive experience with Unix (Linux mostly)
* Testing first. Mega points for RSpec and/or Cucumber
Our client's engineering team practices a casual, agile development methodology. They have daily stand-up, pair program, and usually release on a weekly basis. But they're never dogmatic: They believe flexibility is key to their success. Sometimes pairing isn't the best approach, and sometimes it's best to release every other week. Our client keeps work schedules sustainable, and do their best to plan releases so that they're always fresh as daisies, ready and able to make smart decisions. They also take having fun in the office very seriously. Ping-pong, the imbibing of brewed malt beverages, building their own "cornhole boards" -- we promise, you'll like them.
Please contact me if you are interested or want to learn more...