We are seeking a DC Ops. Technician who will be responsible for maintaining the data center environment and ensuring all customer server environments are secure, operational, and highly available through continuous proactive monitoring, customer support, and scheduled maintenance preparation.
- Builds, upgrades, configures, provisions and installs servers from scratch spanning several different platforms and configurations.
- Performs basic monitoring, troubleshooting and repair of all aspects of servers, operating systems and hardware.
- Responds to customer impacting events.
- Upgrades and downgrades servers.
- Removes hardware from server environments.
- Monitors all Electrical, Mechanical and Emergency Generator systems and reports issues as appropriate.
- Performs routine maintenance activities on customer server environments.
- Assists in the planning of server environments.
- High School diploma or equivalent required; University or College degree preferred
- Minimum 1-year experience or ability to show familiarity with building, repairing or upgrading hardware components required
- Minimum 6-months experience in a customer service oriented position preferred
- Industry recognized certifications including CompTIA, Microsoft, Redhat and Cisco preferred
- Basic knowledge of x86-based hardware components including the ability to build a fully functioning system
- Clear understanding of storage principles including troubleshooting RAID technology and operating system disk management
- Ability to perform basic recovery procedures utilizing operating system boot loaders
- Basic knowledge of server operating systems to include Microsoft Windows, Redhat Linux and Ubuntu Linux as well as an understanding of VMware ESX server
- Command line knowledge for both Microsoft and Linux preferred
- Basic understanding of file systems and the ability to perform basic data recovery
- Basic knowledge of network protocols, principles and concepts including the ability to troubleshoot local connectivity issues
- Ability to perform basic configuration and troubleshooting of SSH and Microsoft Terminal Services
- Must be a self-starter who enjoys working in a team-based environment with minimal supervision
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule, 24x7x365 coverage required including holidays and weekend.
- Must be able to prioritize work in a fast paced, high pressure environment
- Must have strong communication and grammatical skills as well as professional phone etiquette
- Must be proficient with productivity software including, but not limited to, Microsoft Office and Open Office as well as email client software including the creation of rules and folder organization
- Must be able to type with proficiency and accuracy
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs over head
- Must have reliable transportation and be willing to occasionally travel (2-4 wks/yr)
Rackspace, a world leader in hosting delivers enterprise-level managed hosting, cloud hosting, and e-mail hosting services to businesses of all types and sizes globally. Today we serve thousands of customers from data centers around the world. Rackspace integrates the industry's best technologies and practices for each customer's specific needs delivering it as a service via the company's commitment to Fanatical Support®. We serve as an extension of our customers' IT departments enabling them to focus on their core business. Rackspace was founded in 1998 and since then has had significant growth year after year. There are now over 4,000 Rackers employed worldwide dedicated to providing customers our premier hosting services.