cPanel is growing its Internal Systems Development department and looking for a software craftsman with advanced knowledge of Perl and working knowledge of Linux and FreeBSD operating systems. You'll be tasked with developing, implementing, and maintaining cPanel's internal and external software products. Sound like this could be you? Read on.
The Mission (what you’ll be responsible for)
Refactors, optimizes, and maintains existing software to perform more efficiently or to work within new constraints.
Creates new software used to support, distribute or maintain cPanel products.
Performs advanced testing and debugging to identify and resolve problems in existing systems.
Participates in code reviews and assists other team members with support and analysis of external and internal systems.
Contributes knowledge from personal analysis to company databases.
Adheres to the policies and procedures of the company.
Adheres to coding and development standards and practices provided by cPanel.
Prepares ad hoc reports for management and company executives.
The Tools (what knowledge, skills, abilities, and experiences we’re looking for)
Project Management skills - able to perform all aspects of software development life cycle, including requirements, development, quality assurance, and documentation
- Oral Communication - able to speak clearly and effectively to employees and members of management
- Written Communication - able to communicate effectively in all written work, particularly as it pertains to documentation phase of the software development life cycle which requires writing support level and user level documentation
Time Management - able to use time effectively in an unsupervised fashion; able to complete projects in a timely manner
- Planning/Organizing skills - able to prioritize work activities, use time efficiently and work through large projects in a self-motivated manner
- Adaptability - able to adapt to changes in the work environment, manage competing demands and able to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events
- Computer knowledge - strong knowledge of word processing software; strong knowledge of electronic communication systems; able to navigate the internet
- Problem solving skills - able to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner, gather and analyze information skillfully; able to apply independent judgement on regular basis in making decisions
- Interpersonal skills - able to interact with co-workers and customers in professional and effective manner
- Technical skills - advanced technical skills which include:
- Advanced knowledge of Perl including: CGI, DBI, Object Oriented Programming, Perl best practices, and deployment of CPAN modules within a production environment
- Strong working knowledge of Linux and FreeBSD operating systems, their underlying components and hosting related services such as: Web Servers (Apache, Tux, Lighttpd, etc), Mail Servers (Exim, Sendmail, etc.), DNS Servers (BIND, NSD, etc.), understanding of Linux Filesystem and volume management
- Strong working knowledge of SQL syntax and usage
- Strong working knowledge of MySQL database administration, including database replication
- Working knowledge of relational database design
- Familiarity with PHP
- Familiarity with jQuery
- Education/Experience - High School diploma or equivalent;
- Three years of Linux and FreeBSD system troubleshooting or a related certification (RHCE)
- Two years of Perl development experience
Travel - Occasional local and/or overnight travel may be required
In return for all the above, we offer the following:
Full Health, Vision, and Dental coverage
Flexible Spending Account
Free on-site lunch
Casual Working Environment
At our company, we take great pride in our diverse and talented workforce. We recognize that our continued success as a company depends largely on the collective strengths of our employees.
cPanel provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy, childbirth, physical disability, mental disability, age, military status or status as a Vietnam-era or special disabled veteran, marital status, registered domestic partner or civil union status, gender (including sex stereotyping and gender identity or expression), medical condition (including, but not limited to, cancer related or HIV/AIDS related) or sexual orientation in accordance with applicable federal, state and local law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to hiring, placement, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Privacy is taken seriously at cPanel, Inc. Information submitted is kept internally and not shared with third parties.