The IT Architect has full technical ownership of Synoptek Enterprise Services core infrastructure, product solutions, and customer-specific IT infrastructures within their field of expertise. This ownership includes design, implementation, maintenance processes, and operational procedures. Primarily, this role acts as a forward looking technical architect to design and oversee solutions implementation for operational and production platform infrastructure. This may include systems, devices, applications and tools related to direct customer service delivery or supporting, monitoring, and maintaining internal infrastructure and ancillary management tools. Additionally, the successful candidate must also function as a final stage escalation point for senior operational support and deploy engineers, as well as other architects. The ideal candidate will have the ability to research and report on technologies, generate white-papers and best-practices designs, as well as advise internal and external customers on technical direction and strategy. Additionally, the successful candidate will also have the ability to build and validate equipment configurations, and be technically hands-on in a complex multi-vendor, multi-technology environment. The ideal candidate should have a passion for technology, be innovative, and experienced, and have an established background in defining and living with the consequences of architectural technology decisions.
- Demonstrated history of self-driven education.
- Architect solutions for a complex multi-vendor environment, with a “whole solution” approach and analysis, including input from peer architects around systems in their sphere of expertise.
- Coordinate and run POC’s, reference implementations, and R&D setups of various products and solutions.
- Define maintenance and monitoring practices.
- Write documentation and maintenance guides for infrastructure implementations.
- Assist in developing training plans for mid-level engineers.
- Research new products and technologies; stay current on latest technology trends and solutions.
- Act as a Tier-3/Tier-4 point of escalation for issues.
- Provide mentoring and guidance for other engineering staff.
- Establish and document forward leaning designs and roadmaps for infrastructure, software, process and procedures.
- Define and maintain capacity management methodologies, and present capacity reports that account for both licensing, logical, physical, and performance capacities.
- Develop and conduct ongoing training and documentation for operational and deployment engineers.
- Understand and abide by all security and operational polices.
- Provide technical and operational guidance and leadership to other engineers during critical events, and environmental analysis.
- Provide and contribute to technical and product strategy for the business unit.
- Demonstrated history of self-driven education.
- Bachelor’s degree in a technology or science related field -OR- Equivalent certifications and work experience.
- A senior industry certification (VCAP/EMCCA/Etc.) within a storage or virtualization specialization -OR-Equivalent education and work experience.
- Minimum of 7+ years’ experience functioning as an IT generalist, with responsibilities that include management of virtualization, storage and storage networking products.
- Minimum of 2+ years’ experience functioning as a senior engineer or technology specialist responsible for “final tier” support or implementation of storage and virtualization technologies.
- 1+ year experience implementing virtualization orchestration preferred.
- Hands on, demonstrable experience implementing industry best-practices across the following domains:
- Technologies: IaaS, PaaS, Orchestration, Replication
- Hypervisors: VMWare ESX/ESXi, Xen, KVM
- Cloud Computing: VMWare VShpere, Eucalyptus, OpenStack
- Applications: VMWare Site Recovery Manager, Veeam Backup and Replication
- Technologies: SAN, NAS, DAS
- Vendors: EMC, NetApp, Isilion
- Applications: NaviSphere, Unisphere, PowerPath, Aptare
- Technologies: Fiber Channel, FCoE, FC/IP, iSCSI, NFS
- Vendors: Cisco MDS, QLogic, Brocade
- Applications: Fabric Manager, Device Manager, etc.
- Technologies: TCP/IP, DNS, HTTP, ESMTP, SSH, SQL, etc.
- Vendors: IBM, Cisco, HP, Sun/Oracle, etc.
- Operating Systems: Linux, Windows, BSD, etc.
- Applications: Apache/IIS, Postfix/Sendmail/Exchange, BIND, etc.
- Deployment and configuration management: Kickstart, Puppet, Chef, etc.
- Monitoring: Nimsoft NMS (Nimbus), Nagios, Splunk/syslog, RRDTool, etc.
Essential Skills and Competencies
- Visio, Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, WebEx, GotoMeeting and Wireshark
Synoptek delivers consulting, IT management and operations services to companies that require enterprise caliber IT services for critical business operations. Synoptek leverages professional processes, service oriented IT architecture and operational excellence to deliver uninterrupted services demanded by today’s market. Synoptek provides both secure cloud IT solutions and on-premise IT management. By leveraging Synoptek’s services, customers get predictable service levels, security, scalability and a global delivery partner to support their critical IT operations.
If you have the qualifications listed above and are excited about an opportunity to join a growing, progressive technology company, respond to us by email to apply at email@example.com. Please put the job title in the subject line and write a few sentences on what most interests you in this position in your reply.
Synoptek is an equal opportunity employer. Employees are recruited, selected, trained, compensated and promoted without regard to race, religion, creed, color, gender, age, marital status, national origin, citizenship, veteran status or the presence of any disability not impairing the ability to perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation. Applicants must be currently eligible to work in the United States. We do not currently sponsor Visas.