The NYTimes Games team is looking for a strong Software Engineer to help build systems to support our iOS and Web games.
We are a lean and agile team, where each developer is responsible for tasks from software architecture to production support. You'll be working closely with Front End and iOS Engineers to deliver top of the line puzzles applications, building and maintaining support systems that will integrate with App Store, E-commerce and internal tools.
You can look forward to:
- Working closely with designers and UX-experts to craft a world-class game play experience
- Collaborating with the newsroom on how to best uphold the The New York Times word games
- Solving full-stack challenges, architecting systems, and being given the opportunity to pro-actively propose solutions to improve productivity, code quality and game play.
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience;
- 3 - 5+ years experience programming PHP
- Proficiency with Unix/Linux environments
- Understanding of distributed, scalable web application architecture
- Experience with full product life cycles, rapid prototyping, and interactive product development
- Strong working knowledge of RDBMS (MySQL and/or Oracle), SQL and database optimization
- Experience working with REST based services producing and consuming XML and JSON
- Working knowledge of common caching strategies (Varnish and Memcache preferred)
- Comfortable with Regular Expressions
- Familiar with the use of source control (SVN/Git)
- Experience and enthusiasm for working as part of a team
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
Skills that will give you and advantage over other candidates:
- Experience developing services for iOS apps (in-app purchase integration, push notifications, etc)
- Understanding of Amazon Web Services and EC2
- Multiplayer games backend design
- We're open to technologies that can help get the job done, so past experience outside of the LAMP stack is a welcome addition.
Job Segments: PHP, MySQL, SQL, REST based services, Linux, Unix, API, Software Engineer
The New York Times Company (NYSE: NYT) is a global media organization dedicated to enhancing society by creating, collecting and distributing high-quality news and information. The company includes The New York Times, International New York Times, NYTimes.com, INYT.com and related properties. It is known globally for excellence in its journalism, and innovation in its print and digital storytelling and its business model. Follow news about the company at @NYTimesComm.
The New York Times Company is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, national origin, citizenship or any other protected characteristic. The New York Times Company is committed to diversity in its most inclusive sense.
Department: Engineering and Technology