The New York Times is looking for creative and talented software engineers to join our fast-paced, versatile team that builds out the core platforms that power the most viewed newspaper site in the world. This is a rare opportunity to play an integral part in transforming the publishing industry.
As part of our platform team, you will enjoy a vibrant culture that promotes innovation nestled within an established and respected institution. Inside our new midtown building, you will find floor-to-ceiling windows, plenty of whiteboards, a sushi chef, and a staff with a sense of humor and a passion for beautiful software.
Frequent technical presentations for knowledge sharing within and across teams
An internal technical challenge competition that rewards the authors of practical solutions, by giving them the time, resources and support needed to create production-ready applications
The Times Developer Network, a clearinghouse for the open APIs we build on top of our high-quality content data sources: http://developer.nytimes.com/
The Open Blog, where we describe API capabilities and improvements and cover a wide range of other interesting topics: http://open.blogs.nytimes.com/
The TimesOpen event series, which engages, draws from and contributes to the larger developer community: http://nytimes.com/marketing/timesopen/
We stand behind the people who have the courage to take on the hard problems, and we have the resources to do so. Come and write the applications and APIs that deliver optimized, dynamic and static content components for consumption by an array of downstream consumers who often then take that content to a worldwide audience.
- Building software systems and APIs for internal and external consumption
- Integrating a diverse set of data sources including relational databases, REST based services, search engines, key/value data stores and XML data
- Ability to quickly learn and write code to integrate with 3rd parties (SaaS, feeds et al).
- Optimizing for scalability - speed, high availability and minimal footprint
- Integrating third-party content and other data sources into our systems
- Working with stakeholders across the company
The ideal candidate must have high standards with regard to the finished product and must be concerned about the quality and maintainability of the underlying software. In addition, the ideal candidate possess the ability to design systems; communicate and work effectively with others; write scalable, high quality code and deliver work on schedule.
- B.S. in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Understanding of distributed, scalable web application architecture
- Understanding of algorithms and data structure
- Proficiency in software design, coupled with a deep understanding of object-oriented software design, functional programming and design patterns
- Experience with full product lifecycles, rapid prototyping, and iterative product development
- 3 - 5+ years experience programming in PHP
- Proficiency with Unix/Linux environments
- Strong working knowledge of RDBMS (Oracle and preferably MySQL), SQL and database optimization
- Experience working with REST based services producing and consuming XML and JSON
- Comfortable with Regular Expressions
- Familiar with the use of source control (SVN/CSV)
- Ability to communicate effectively with business side clients to gather and translate functional specs
- Experience and enthusiasm for working as part of a team
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
Skills that will give you an advantage over other candidates:
- Understanding of Amazon Web Services and EC2
- Familiarity with caching (Varnish and Memcache)
- Experience or working knowledge of Search (SOLR, ElasticSearch)
- Familiarity with NoSQL (MongoDB, CouchDB)
- Experience with Map Reduce
- Experience with registration and authentication strategies and standards (SAML, OAuth)
- Experience writing web services such as REST and SOAP
- Experience with Test Driven Development and testing tools like JUnit, NUnit, Cucumber, Simple Test etc.
- Experience with cloud computing and/or virtualized environments (e.g., EC2, VMWare)
Job Segments: PHP, MySQL, SQL, REST based services, Linux, API, Software Engineer
The New York Times Company (NYSE: NYT) is a global media organization dedicated to enhancing society by creating, collecting and distributing high-quality news and information. The company includes The New York Times, International New York Times, NYTimes.com, INYT.com and related properties. It is known globally for excellence in its journalism, and innovation in its print and digital storytelling and its business model. Follow news about the company at @NYTimesComm.
The New York Times Company is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, national origin, citizenship or any other protected characteristic. The New York Times Company is committed to diversity in its most inclusive sense.
Department: Engineering and Technology