Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories (SEL) seeks a Firmware Engineer with analytical skills who would be interested in spending time understanding the network design and architecture of industrial control system environments. A Firmware Engineer would be expected to learn Ethernet protocols and standards in order to discuss, discover, design and develop innovative solutions for today’s control system networks. If you are a firmware engineer with a strong focus in computer science, and have an interest in applying your skills in developing innovative products for solving the needs of today’s as well as tomorrow’s industrial control systems networks, we invite you to join our technical team.
For this position we are open to hiring an Engineer or Lead Level candidate.
Since our incorporation in 1982, SEL has continued to grow and expand our products and services to help our customers solve their power system problems. With this continued growth, SEL has continued to invest in Marketing, and Research and Development, which has led to this new and exciting employment opportunity.
SEL’s corporate office is located in Eastern Washington where you'll enjoy an unmatched quality of life. Enjoy the smaller town life: country space, freedom from traffic, easy access to recreational activities in nearby mountains, rivers, and forests, as well as great schools and universities.
- Design and development of embedded Linux products.
- Collaborate on and design network communication products and solutions for industrial control systems (Ethernet switches, routers, proxy servers, etc).
- Design, develop and implement C/C++ applications in embedded Linux build environments.
- Design, develop and implement Linux drivers (kernel space development).
- Review data sheets and instruction manuals.
- Configure, test, and troubleshoot network communication products and systems.
- Participate in preparation of product specifications.
- Prepare and maintain design and test documentation.
- Follow and improve processes.
- Participate in industry technical meetings and conferences as needed to meet operational and strategic plans.
If experienced, responsibilities may also include:
- Leading implementation of firmware.
- Leading the development of designs and test documentations.
- Leading development and improvement of processes.
- Mentoring Associate Engineers or technicians.
- B.S. in Computer Science, related degree or relevant experience
- Experience or study in development in C and/or C++
- Experience or study in object oriented design and/or object oriented languages
- Strong writing, documentation and speaking skills
- Ability to learn new skills and assume new responsibilities
- Ability to work cooperatively in a team environment
- Minimum of 4 years experience with development in C and/or C++
- Minimum of 4 years experience in object oriented design and/or object oriented languages
- Industrial controls and SCADA protocols
- Digital communication and signal processing
- Linux embedded development experience
- Linux application development experience
- Experience with electric utility relays and telecommunications
To Apply for This Position:
We ask all candidates to submit their resume through our website at www.selinc.com/applynow. If your qualifications and experience match any of our current openings, please submit your resume for that position so that you may be considered immediately.
SEL sends an initial e-mail response to all applicants at time of resume submittal. If you do not receive this communication, please check your SPAM filter and make sure your system is not blocking e-mails from SEL. It is important that you ensure your receipt of this e-mail as SEL may communicate future position updates via e-mail.
SEL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
An Award Winning Company
Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc. (SEL) has earned a reputation for quality, reliability, integrity, and service. This has enabled us to expand within both the electric utility and industrial markets to include international customers and OEM markets.
In 2012, SEL earned a spot on the FORTUNE Magazine 100 Best Companies to Work For list. This prestigious ranking celebrates the SEL 100% employee-owned culture as one of the best in the country. SEL has received numerous awards, including the Puget Sound Business Journal’s 100 Fastest-Growing Private Companies in Washington State (1999 through 2003, 2010, and 2011), Inc. Magazine’s 500|5000 Fastest Growing Private Companies (1990, 1991, 2008, 2010, and 2011), the Association of Washington Businesses (AWB) Manufacturing, Workplace, and Community Service Award (1998 through 2010), the Washington State Quality Achievement Award (WSQA), and the Washington Secretary of State Corporations for Communities Award (2010). Puget Sound Business Journal has also ranked SEL as one of Washington State’s Top 100 Largest Private Companies every year since 2007.
In an independent survey conducted by Newton-Evans Research Company, SEL ranks first in all performance categories including: technology, features, security against hackers, web/internet information ability, technical service and support, maintenance cost, relay setting PC software, and price. Since 2006, SEL has also held the elite VPP STAR status certification from Washington State Department of Labor & Industries. Less than 2,000 companies in the U.S. earn the VPP STAR status for outstanding safety and health programs.
Apply Your Talent. Make a Difference. Enjoy the Rewards.
Are you ready to be part of a highly motivated and well-equipped team? Are you a quick learner who likes new challenges? If so, then you are ready to join us at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories.
Dr. Edmund O. Schweitzer III delivered the first commercial digital protective relay in 1984. Under his technical, managerial, and fiscal leadership, Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories has expanded to become a leader in the power industry, employing over 3,700 people world-wide. Dr. Schweitzer understands and supports the need for investing in employees. In return, he expects that we hire only the best, most highly motivated team members, and that we deliver simple, reliable, and cost-effective products and solutions.
Our products and solutions must be simple and reliable because they protect the largest, most complicated machine on earth: the electric power grid. Blackouts in the U.S. and Canada remind us that reliable electric power is crucial to our society. SEL provides systems, services, and products for the protection, monitoring, control, automation, and metering of utility and industrial electric systems worldwide.
Our company and our products exist to make electric power safer, more reliable, and more economical. That purpose has made SEL very successful, and the company is managed with sound fiscal judgment and that purpose in mind. Profits are reinvested to fuel the company’s growth.
In addition to offering a variety of challenges in a supportive, stable environment, SEL shares its success with employees through our Employee Stock Ownership Program. Its purpose is to involve employees in the company’s long-term success and to encourage employees’ motivation, creativity, and productivity. Once employees become eligible, SEL will contribute a certain percentage of employees’ salaries, above their normal compensation, to accrue company stock with pre-tax dollars in their account.
Employee Testimonial Video: SEL employees describe the opportunity and rewards of a career working at a 100% employee owned company!www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMyhbe7Hklo
Benefits: SEL has an excellent benefits package including medical, dental, and vision for all regular full-time employees and their entire family; long-term disability and life insurance; education assistance programs; a very generous employee stock ownership plan; 401K; flexible benefit account; and an outstanding work environment.