Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories (SEL) seeks a mid-level Power Engineer to support the Government Services division in providing high quality electric power systems to our government facilities and naval vessels. This position is located in Pullman, WA where our corporate facilities are located.
Do you have an Electrical Engineering degree and have been working in the power system field for the last several years? Do you enjoy providing government facilities with your expertise in power systems? Have you been providing relay settings, load flow and fault studies to this sector? If you are a US Citizen, ready to step up with the challenge in utilizing your years of experience working with government facilities and wish to apply these experiences in representing SEL and our mission to make electric power, safer, more reliable and more economical, then this position is for you.
SEL’s corporate office is located in Eastern Washington where you'll enjoy an unmatched quality of life. Enjoy the smaller town life: country space, freedom from traffic, easy access to recreational activities in nearby mountains, rivers, and forests, as well as great schools and universities.
Power Engineer - Government Services
- Develop and maintain a high level of expertise on products and solutions for electric power distribution systems located in government facilities and naval vessels.
- Analyze electric power generation, distribution, and transmission systems. Develop and present cost-effective SEL protection and automation solutions for the customer.
- Train and assist customers with the application, installation, commissioning, and operation of SEL products and solutions.
- Write technical papers, white papers, and other documents pertaining to assigned work.
- Develop and maintain technical knowledge of protection, control, and monitoring devices as they pertain to SEL.
- Correlate research data and technical information on assigned devices and systems.
- Follow and improve processes.
- B.S. in Electrical Engineering from an accredited college or university
- Three to five years of practical experience in the design, operation, or protection of electric power systems
- Working knowledge of power systems protection, integration, and automation applications
- Demonstrated knowledge of power system engineering standards and practices
- Experience with power systems analysis and design, fault studies, protective relay coordination, and setting relays settings for electric substations and distribution systems
- Basic knowledge of power system automation and integration fundamentals including applicable communication protocols and technologies
- Excellent technical training, speaking, and writing skills
- Willing to travel up to 25% both nationally and internationally
- Ability to learn new skills and assume new responsibilities
- Ability to work cooperatively in a team environment
- Background check results satisfactory to SEL
- Negative drug test result(s)
- US Citizen
- Willing to obtain security clearance
- M.S. in Electrical Engineering or strongly related field; or equivalent work experience
- Experience applying SEL protection and automation products in power system applications
- Experience being a part of project teams
- Engineer in Training or Registered Professional Engineer
To Apply for This Position:
We ask all candidates to submit their resume through our website at www.selinc.com/applynow. If your qualifications and experience match any of our current openings, please submit your resume for that position so that you may be considered immediately.
SEL sends an initial e-mail response to all applicants at time of resume submittal. If you do not receive this communication, please check your SPAM filter and make sure your system is not blocking e-mails from SEL. It is important that you ensure your receipt of this e-mail as SEL may communicate future position updates via e-mail.
SEL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
An Award Winning Company
Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc. (SEL) has earned a reputation for quality, reliability, integrity, and service. This has enabled us to expand within both the electric utility and industrial markets to include international customers and OEM markets.
In 2012, SEL earned a spot on the FORTUNE Magazine 100 Best Companies to Work For list. This prestigious ranking celebrates the SEL 100% employee-owned culture as one of the best in the country. SEL has received numerous awards, including the Puget Sound Business Journal’s 100 Fastest-Growing Private Companies in Washington State (1999 through 2003, 2010, and 2011), Inc. Magazine’s 500|5000 Fastest Growing Private Companies (1990, 1991, 2008, 2010, and 2011), the Association of Washington Businesses (AWB) Manufacturing, Workplace, and Community Service Award (1998 through 2010), the Washington State Quality Achievement Award (WSQA), and the Washington Secretary of State Corporations for Communities Award (2010). Puget Sound Business Journal has also ranked SEL as one of Washington State’s Top 100 Largest Private Companies every year since 2007.
In an independent survey conducted by Newton-Evans Research Company, SEL ranks first in all performance categories including: technology, features, security against hackers, web/internet information ability, technical service and support, maintenance cost, relay setting PC software, and price. Since 2006, SEL has also held the elite VPP STAR status certification from Washington State Department of Labor & Industries. Less than 2,000 companies in the U.S. earn the VPP STAR status for outstanding safety and health programs.
Apply Your Talent. Make a Difference. Enjoy the Rewards.
Are you ready to be part of a highly motivated and well-equipped team? Are you a quick learner who likes new challenges? If so, then you are ready to join us at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories.
Dr. Edmund O. Schweitzer III delivered the first commercial digital protective relay in 1984. Under his technical, managerial, and fiscal leadership, Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories has expanded to become a leader in the power industry, employing over 3,700 people world-wide. Dr. Schweitzer understands and supports the need for investing in employees. In return, he expects that we hire only the best, most highly motivated team members, and that we deliver simple, reliable, and cost-effective products and solutions.
Our products and solutions must be simple and reliable because they protect the largest, most complicated machine on earth: the electric power grid. Blackouts in the U.S. and Canada remind us that reliable electric power is crucial to our society. SEL provides systems, services, and products for the protection, monitoring, control, automation, and metering of utility and industrial electric systems worldwide.
Our company and our products exist to make electric power safer, more reliable, and more economical. That purpose has made SEL very successful, and the company is managed with sound fiscal judgment and that purpose in mind. Profits are reinvested to fuel the company’s growth.
In addition to offering a variety of challenges in a supportive, stable environment, SEL shares its success with employees through our Employee Stock Ownership Program. Its purpose is to involve employees in the company’s long-term success and to encourage employees’ motivation, creativity, and productivity. Once employees become eligible, SEL will contribute a certain percentage of employees’ salaries, above their normal compensation, to accrue company stock with pre-tax dollars in their account.
Employee Testimonial Video: SEL employees describe the opportunity and rewards of a career working at a 100% employee owned company! www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMyhbe7Hklo
Benefits: SEL has an excellent benefits package including medical, dental, and vision for all regular full-time employees and their entire family; long-term disability and life insurance; education assistance programs; a very generous employee stock ownership plan; 401K; flexible benefit account; and an outstanding work environment.