Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories (SEL) seeks an electric power systems professional for our Business Development Engineer position to generate new motor protection sales opportunities. We are striving to expand our rotating machinery business by introducing ourselves to new customers and new opportunities. If you want to apply your electric motor and application experience in a business development position, then this opportunity is for you!
Are you ready to promote state-of-the-art motor protection, control, and automation equipment for industrial power systems? Would you like to work for a 100% employee-owned company that continuously invests in new product development and truly values the contributions of smart, dedicated engineers like yourself? Our products monitor, protect, meter, and control power-generation equipment, transformers, bus bars, capacitor banks, distribution feeders, and motors. If you are an electrical engineer with demonstrated experience in rotating machinery within industrial power systems and a desire to work closely with customer clients, we invite you to join our team and participate in a culture that values intelligent risk-taking, rewards success, and promotes both employee rights and personal responsibility.
This position operates with a high degree of independence and affords opportunity to work with U.S.-based and international customer accounts. This position will provide both technical and marketing guidance to SEL sales channel partners, operating in North America and abroad.
SEL’s corporate headquarters and manufacturing facilities are located in Eastern Washington where you'll train. You will have the ability to choose from several permanent work locations within the United States. While training in Eastern Washington, you’ll have easy access to recreational activities in nearby mountains, rivers, and forests, as well as great schools, universities, and overall quality of life. You are welcome and encouraged to consider Eastern Washington and our corporate campus as your new home and permanent work location.
The ideal candidate will have an electrical engineering degree and experience designing, applying, and maintaining low and medium-voltage motors and motor control centers. Candidates with less, and/or different engineering qualifications will be considered if there is at least five years of hands-on experience with generators or other electrical rotating machines. Additionally, the successful candidate will have experience in customer-facing sales, marketing, and/or business development positions. Work history in technical support-related assignments will receive further consideration.
Business Development Engineer – Motor Protection
- Develop and implement a sales strategy for the assigned market and translate this strategy into opportunities and sales.
- Establish annual sales targets and strategies for the targeted markets over a five-year period.
- Identify new or underserved customers and coordinate a development plan with the sales force to grow their sales.
- Discover, qualify, communicate, and track customer leads and opportunities to close.
- Grow and maintain business relationships with key customers.
- Teach the sales force and customers best known practices through trainings, lunch and learns, and technical seminars.
- Create new applications utilizing SEL products to expand solutions provided to key markets.
- Work with R&D and S&CS to develop product specifications and modifications to increase market opportunities.
- Participate in conferences and societies to influence target markets and support SEL products.
- Keep current with industry trends, opportunities, disruptive technologies, competition, customer procurement practices, and barriers to market growth.
- Produce and deliver product and application presentations.
- Identify, measure, and improve SEL sales and customer service practices.
- Other duties as assigned.
- B.S. in Electrical Engineering, or equivalent work experience
- A minimum of five years experience in one of the following areas:
- Power systems and generation
- Rotating machinery
- Arc-flash protection
- Excellent technical training abilities
- Understanding of electric power systems, design methodologies and operating practices
- Ability and willingness to travel 30%, supporting sales channel partners and consulting/specifying engineers, switchgear OEMs, and customer end-users
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent technical and marketing presentation and writing skills
- Strong writing, documentation, and speaking skills
- Ability to learn new skills and assume new responsibilities
- Ability to work cooperatively in a team environment
- Background check results satisfactory to SEL
- Negative drug test result(s)
- Approximately ten years combined experience in marketing, sales, or engineering
- Experience in one of the following areas:
- Motor control center design
- Arc-flash incident energy calculations and mitigation techniques
- Experience in organizing and managing a technical sales territory
- Knowledge of SEL products
To Apply for This Position:
We ask all candidates to submit their resume through our website at www.selinc.com/applynow. If your qualifications and experience match any of our current openings, please submit your resume for that position so that you may be considered immediately.
SEL sends an initial e-mail response to all applicants at time of resume submittal. If you do not receive this communication, please check your SPAM filter and make sure your system is not blocking e-mails from SEL. It is important that you ensure your receipt of this e-mail as SEL may communicate future position updates via e-mail.
SEL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
An Award Winning Company
Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc. (SEL) has earned a reputation for quality, reliability, integrity, and service. This has enabled us to expand within both the electric utility and industrial markets to include international customers and OEM markets.
In 2012, SEL earned a spot on the FORTUNE Magazine 100 Best Companies to Work For list. This prestigious ranking celebrates the SEL 100% employee-owned culture as one of the best in the country. SEL has received numerous awards, including the Puget Sound Business Journal’s 100 Fastest-Growing Private Companies in Washington State (1999 through 2003, 2010, and 2011), Inc. Magazine’s 500|5000 Fastest Growing Private Companies (1990, 1991, 2008, 2010, and 2011), the Association of Washington Businesses (AWB) Manufacturing, Workplace, and Community Service Award (1998 through 2010), the Washington State Quality Achievement Award (WSQA), and the Washington Secretary of State Corporations for Communities Award (2010). Puget Sound Business Journal has also ranked SEL as one of Washington State’s Top 100 Largest Private Companies every year since 2007.
In an independent survey conducted by Newton-Evans Research Company, SEL ranks first in all performance categories including: technology, features, security against hackers, web/internet information ability, technical service and support, maintenance cost, relay setting PC software, and price. Since 2006, SEL has also held the elite VPP STAR status certification from Washington State Department of Labor & Industries. Less than 2,000 companies in the U.S. earn the VPP STAR status for outstanding safety and health programs.
Apply Your Talent. Make a Difference. Enjoy the Rewards.
Are you ready to be part of a highly motivated and well-equipped team? Are you a quick learner who likes new challenges? If so, then you are ready to join us at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories.
Dr. Edmund O. Schweitzer III delivered the first commercial digital protective relay in 1984. Under his technical, managerial, and fiscal leadership, Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories has expanded to become a leader in the power industry, employing over 3,700 people world-wide. Dr. Schweitzer understands and supports the need for investing in employees. In return, he expects that we hire only the best, most highly motivated team members, and that we deliver simple, reliable, and cost-effective products and solutions.
Our products and solutions must be simple and reliable because they protect the largest, most complicated machine on earth: the electric power grid. Blackouts in the U.S. and Canada remind us that reliable electric power is crucial to our society. SEL provides systems, services, and products for the protection, monitoring, control, automation, and metering of utility and industrial electric systems worldwide.
Our company and our products exist to make electric power safer, more reliable, and more economical. That purpose has made SEL very successful, and the company is managed with sound fiscal judgment and that purpose in mind. Profits are reinvested to fuel the company’s growth.
In addition to offering a variety of challenges in a supportive, stable environment, SEL shares its success with employees through our Employee Stock Ownership Program. Its purpose is to involve employees in the company’s long-term success and to encourage employees’ motivation, creativity, and productivity. Once employees become eligible, SEL will contribute a certain percentage of employees’ salaries, above their normal compensation, to accrue company stock with pre-tax dollars in their account.
Employee Testimonial Video: SEL employees describe the opportunity and rewards of a career working at a 100% employee owned company! www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMyhbe7Hklo
Benefits: SEL has an excellent benefits package including medical, dental, and vision for all regular full-time employees and their entire family; long-term disability and life insurance; education assistance programs; a very generous employee stock ownership plan; 401K; flexible benefit account; and an outstanding work environment.