NOC Engineer (Mid -Level)
Technicians needed to provide 24x7x365 support for the networks, systems and applications used to deliver smart grid services to our customers. The service platforms include an RF mesh network based on our client's technology, a variety of WAN technologies from cellular-based (3G) to traditional Ethernet and a multi-data center environment (SSN-managed and customer-managed) comprised of servers, applications, databases, storage arrays and related network infrastructure.
This position is instrumental in executing the processes within the NOC with a customer-first, quality-focused approach. Prior NOC or SOC experience a big plus.
· Staff the SSN 24x7 Network Operations Center.
· Monitor all production networks, servers, applications and services and respond to alerts according to standard process.
· Respond to escalations from SSN Customer Service (Tier 1 & 2) or Customer NOCs
· Track and manage Incident tickets fully to ensure proper Operational metrics are captured
· Execute documented run books as documented for diagnosis and remediation of issues.
· Implement and strictly follow change management procedures and systems.
· Fully document and communicate shift-turnover reports.
· Work with third party vendors both during routine deployment and outages. Ensure escalations are handled in a professional, consistent, and relentless manner.
· Support occasional data center coordination activities such as equipment delivery and configuration.
· Be available to work revolving schedules (i.e. shifts)
· Work with Senior NOC staff and Tier 2 Sustaining Operations staff to receive training, documentation and access in order to increase overall skill set and capability within the NOC.
· Excellent work ethic - high output (i.e. 20+ tickets a day) and attention to detail
· University Degree with a bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems, electrical engineering, or a related field. Qualifying experience and/or technical certification (e.g. CCNA/CCNP, RHCT, etc.) may substitute for the required education.
· Preferred 1 to 3 years of 24 x 7 x 365 technical operations experience, preferably at a carrier-class level with an Internet or Application Service Provider.
· Excellent analytical, problem-solving and technical troubleshooting skills.
· Strong verbal and written communication skills; ability to remain composed and professional in stressful, high-pressure situations.
· Good understanding on ITIL and Service Management concepts a plus
· Highly motivated, self-starter with a positive attitude and strong initiative to face the challenges of a very fast-paced, high-energy, yet sometimes stressful, customer-focused operations organization.
· Basic understanding and practical use of TCP/IP and related Internet protocols. IPv6 experience is a plus.
· Strong familiarity with UNIX/ Linux -based operating systems and CLI environments; shell/Perl scripting capabilities are highly desirable
· Knowledge of virtualization platforms and methodologies
· Basic knowledge of Remedy, incident management tools and asset tracking
· Network troubleshooting and analysis. Experience working on Cisco router/switch/firewall platforms