Senior Database Engineer
Location: Pasadena, CA
Green Dot Corporation is a publicly traded bank holding company with a mission to reinvent personal banking for the masses. Its products and brands include Green Dot brand reloadable prepaid debit cards, The Green Dot Reload Network (including MoneyPak) and GoBank - the mobile bank account. The Company’s prepaid products and services are available in more than 60,000 retail stores nationwide and online at www.greendot.com. GoBank is available online at www.GoBank.com and via the Apple App Store and Google Play with additional distribution locations to be announced in 2013. The company is headquartered in Pasadena, CA with technology offices in Palo Alto, CA and Santa Monica, CA, and its bank subsidiary, Green Dot Bank, located in Provo, UT.
Description: Under direction of the Director of Software Development, the Senior Database Engineer participates in the detailed analysis, design, construction, documentation, and administration of database solutions for various applications.
Database Design and Development
- Reviews business requirements and technical design documents to develop effective database solutions
- Logical and Physical Data Modeling for the Green Dot internal and external facing applications using database normalization and de-normalization methods.
- Developing, documenting and performance tuning of effective data access routines such as stored procedures, views, triggers and functions
- Developing effective heavy duty data solutions for Database Archiving, Data Conversion and Batch Data interface using SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS)
- Provide technical leadership for large-scale database projects
- Installation and configuration of SQL Server in database servers in both stand alone and clustering environments.
- Monitoring and Managing System Performance, Security and Capacity, taking Proactive actions to increase capacity to meet demand by upgrading hardware including disk, memory and processor
- Management of the database environment by defining database maintenance tasks, such as backup & restore, indexing, statistics, alerts and notification for database servers.
- Maintaining documentation related to database server configuration and database change management.
- Providing User and Develop support for data needs.
- Works on project deliverables while supporting day-to-day production activities.
- Enforces established documentation guidelines and best practices.
- Maintains a high degree of business functional knowledge and current automated technologies and tools.
- Adheres to all policies and procedures concerning all confidential information including but not limited to internal use and restricted information, including Protected Consumer Information (PCI) and Protected Health Information (PHI).
- Adheres to all Company Health and Safety policies and procedures.
- Administers duties as defined by the Green Dot performance review plan within the required deadlines.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- A minimum of 7 years or more of hands-on experience with MS SQL Server Database design, development and administration
- A thorough understanding of relational databases and SQL
- Experience with MS SQL Server 2005 and 2000 environments with some emphasis in Database Administration, including management tools.
- Advanced knowledge of SQL query development using MS SQL-Server 2005
- Strong Experience in SQL Performance Tuning using various performance matrix gathering techniques.
- Strong Experience in SSIS and heavy duty SQL Development using SQL Server internal database metadata structures, XML and Encryption
- Experience with database communication mechanisms: .NET, ODBC and TCP/IP
- Experience in code migration, database change management and data management through the various stages of the development life cycle
- Understanding of logical and physical modeling concepts
- Experience with the MS SQL Clustering architecture
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
- Ability to prioritize, meet deadlines and to work well under pressure
- Must enjoy working in a fast-paced teamwork environment and dealing with a variety of people
- Will work with both minimal supervision and in a collaborative team environment
- BS degree in Information Technology/Computer Science or equivalent work experience
ADDITIONAL SKILLS DESIRED
- Banking and/or credit card systems (stored value systems) experience.
- Knowledge of new database technologies a plus
- Experience in architecture and configuration of MS SQL database mirroring, partitioning, Service Broker and Notification Services
- Experience in Microsoft Operating System – Windows Server 2003
- Experience in SQL Server 2008
- Microsoft SQL Certification will be a plus.
Green Dot is an equal opportunity employer and is seeking diversity in candidates for employment