Sr. Web Application Developer 2 Positions Available! JOB ID: 121722 & 121723
This position is located in the Washington Metropolitan Area Transportation Authority (WMATA), Office of Information Technology (OIT). The incumbent will provide technical and Web applications development services to support WMATA departments= programmatic requirements via the Internet and Intranet. This position requires the application of technical knowledge of Internet systems, services, and technologies.
- Leads development teams that create and support complex, n-tier web applications (both customer facing and internal) to support WMATA departmental requirements. Provides technical leadership for web application development and application maintenance teams to ensure that process efficiency and software development life-cycle standards are being met according to the guidelines set forth by the Authority.
- Coordinates directly with WMATA departments regarding their web application requirements, and within the Information Technology department with components that support the development, deployment and ongoing operation of web applications, such as security, network communications and server operations.
- Holds leadership responsibility for developing upgrade plans for departmental applications (in consultation with end users), and ensures the efficient and cost effective resolution of maintenance, operations, and support issues.
- Remains abreast of new developments in web applications, Internet and Intranet and related technologies, to the extent that these developments may benefit WMATA. Serves as a technical resource to WMATA web developers in the application of new technologies. Represents the web application group’s interests in IT department forums that provide change control oversight and application architecture design for the Authority.
- Contributes as a lead technical resource to the development and implementation of Internet and Intranet application policies, procedures, and standards and ensures their conformance with WMATA objectives.
- Applies an enterprise-wide set of disciplines for the planning, analysis, design and construction of information systems across a major sector of the enterprise. Develops analytical techniques and methodologies for problem solutions.
- Performs strategic systems planning, business information planning, and business analysis. Performs process and data modeling in support of the planning and analysis efforts using both manual and automated tools such as UML. Applies reverse engineering and re-engineering disciplines to develop migration planning and strategy documents.
- As both a developer and Technical Lead, is responsible for all phases of the web software development lifecycle, including design, programming, testing (unit and system level), debugging, and internal documentation.
- Creates instructive diagrams and flowcharts of IT systems, processes, and workflows. Translates processes and procedures into reference documents for use in PowerPoint presentations for senior IT management and the ELT.
The above duties and responsibilities are not intended to limit specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. It is not intended to limit in any way the right of supervisors to assign, direct and control the work of employees under their supervision.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of and demonstrated expertise in applying web application development technologies, languages, and tools in the design and development of complex, n-tier web applications. Experience utilizing major web application development languages and tools such as ASP.Net, Silverlight,, C#, Java, MS Visual Studio .Net 2008 and 2010.
- Expertise and skill in developing complex web applications utilizing the following database technologies: Oracle 11, MS SQL Server 2005 and 2008, MySQL.
- Expertise and skill in applying complex Internet protocols HTTP and HTTPS
- Knowledge of and skill in web application usability concepts, and proven expertise in applying them in complex applications, including mobile applications.
- Expertise and skill in applying Internet security design standards, knowledge of critical web application security vulnerabilities, demonstrated expertise in designing and developing highly secure web applications, including those with eCommerce functionality.
- Expertise and skill in applying database design and management principles to ensure efficient performance and data security.
- Expertise and proven skill in architecting web applications, with strong knowledge of Internet server operations, database storage technologies and COTS products that are utilized to manage web application platforms.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both written and oral presentations.
- Ability to evaluate and recommend the most effective use of the Internet technologies that may range from creating complex web applications to analyzing complex business requirements and designing applications that support their efficient delivery.
- Ability to evaluate and apply advances in Internet technology; manage customer expectations; and ensure consideration of relevant security and accessibility and authentication issues.
- Must be available for after-hours and weekend work on a scheduled as needed basis as well as on an emergency basis to support assigned projects.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree in Mathematics, Computer Science, Finance, Business or Public Administration or related field. Minimum five (5) years experience in progressively responsible and diversified information systems, communications systems management and technical experience in a large organization including some experience in the development of major IT policies.
OR, an equivalent combination of post-high school education and nine (9) years of progressively responsible and diversified information systems, communications systems management and technical experience in a large organization including some experience in the development of major IT policies.
Certifications in the application of Microsoft technologies relevant to web application design, development and operation are preferred.
Ability to satisfactorily complete the medical examination for this job. This employee must be able to accomplish the essential functions of this job with or without reasonable accommodation(s).