The Senior Application Developer will play a vital role in the success of the Metro Transit Organization, supporting multiple applications and systems and working on major, critical and complex development projects. This Developer will realize the best solutions for organizing, integrating and provisioning data, and developing and enhancing complex applications tailored to meet client needs with responsibility for the full software development lifecycle. As a technical expert on the specialized systems assigned, this Developer will be recognized as the subject matter expert by the organization and management.
As a senior member of the team, you will need to develop strong relationships and build trust while demonstrating dedication to meeting the expectations and requirements of both team members and clients.This Senior Application Developer must steadfastly push for results, anticipating and adjusting for problems. Sought by others for advice and solutions, this developer easily makes connections among unrelated notions using rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions.
The Middle –Tier & Integration Group (MTI)
The Middle-tier & Integration (MTI) Group provides database development, system integration, and vendor product support for the King County’s Department of Transportation including Transit, Roads, Marine, and Airport Divisions. The MTI group is a cohesive team of friendly, capable IT professionals dedicated to helping our customers deliver premier transportation services, and working to make customers’ systems and applications better and more efficient. The MTI Group is part of a larger Business Solutions Group that includes .NET developers, GIS specialists, and DBAs. Together with other Business Solutions Group teams, the MTI Group develops custom applications, integrates and deploys vendor applications, and provides the technical support for these systems.
Guided by a strategic vision created to provide and enhance needed services over the coming years, King County is progressive and proactive. We use technology and innovative business practices to keep ourselves on the leading edge. King County is the 14th most populous county in the nation and the second largest government in Washington State. Within King County, there are over 1.9 million people living within 2,134 square miles. The county’s core businesses include; law enforcement, prosecution, judicial administration, adult and juvenile detention, development and environmental services, natural resources and parks, community and human services, public health, transportation, employment and administrative services. The nine members of the Metropolitan King County Council serve as the legislative branch of King County Government. This Council adopts ordinances and motions, sets policy for the county, and holds approval authority for the county budget. Altogether, King County’s budget for 2011 is $5.1 billion. King County IT provides IT services to over 13,000 employees.
King County Information Technology (KCIT)
Formalized in King County’s code, the King County Information Technology Department is determined to take organizational change from multiple, functionally focused organizations (decentralized model) to one world class technology services provider. Providing county-wide information technology solutions tailored to meet the business needs of a diverse list of county agencies, as well as regional services ranging from GIS to Radio Services, this centralized approach will allow for a consistently high quality customer experience, strategic IT resource planning, and a comprehensive approach to IT investments.
Our strategies for accomplishing our vision focus on several audiences:
- Customers are the focus of our E-government, Customer Service, and Regionalization strategies; aligning with one of our core principles to be a service focused organization.
- King County employees are an additional focus area which is addressed through Collaboration, Mobility, and Unified Communications strategies. Providing enabling technologies is critical to the countywide efforts around process improvement and employee engagement.
- Our final area of focus is internal and targets our new IT organization where we solidify and strengthen some of our foundational components. Strategies targeting this area include enterprise architecture, cloud computing, technology modernization, and Information Assurance.
Critical to success in all areas is a commitment to successful implementation and continuous process improvement. Recent and ongoing efforts to streamline and improve project execution and oversight as well as operational support will continue to improve our foundation. Even more important to our foundation is an increased priority and reliance on our workforce Our staff is our most valuable asset and we need to empower them by providing appropriate tools, management interaction including clear expectations and direct feedback, and appropriate training on technologies, processes, and soft skills.
By matching our strategies with our core values and driving principles of being a service focused organization, being committed to our customers and citizens, investing in and empowering our staff , and seeking to continually improve our processes, we solidify our commitment of becoming a world class technology services provider.
Find a personally rewarding career in Information Technology that allows you to maximize your potential and receive recognition for your own talents. Join our team and get the recognition you deserve! We value diversity in our work environment and know that employees treated with respect not only perform better, but further the mission and purpose of King County’s Strategic Plan. King County values the balance between work and life outside of work. We offer an outstanding benefits package, 10 paid holidays, life insurance, an Employee Assistance Program and much more. Please visit our website to learn about King County’s commitment to employee’s health and well-being: http://www.kingcounty.gov/employees/.
WORK LOCATION: King Street Center, 201 S. Jackson Street, Seattle, Washington
REPORTS TO: This position reports to IT Services Manager, Middle-tier & Integration (MTI) Group.
For information about the status of your application please contact Melanie Hanisco at (206) 263-8062 or email email@example.com.
- Database Development – Design and develop database programs and relational databases to support in-house developed applications, vendor product add-ons, and agency reporting systems. Optimize databases to maximize performance. Manage the full software development life cycle – conception, requirements analysis and specification, design, coding, testing, user acceptance, implementation, training, and support.
- System Support – Provide technical support for in-house developed and vendor product systems. Respond to system failures; collaborate with other computer specialists (i.e. server administrators, database administrators, network experts) to analyze and resolve underlying problems. Modify existing systems to expand functionality. Apply upgrades and patches to vendor software.
- System Integration – Integrate both purchased and in-house developed agency systems with existing agency systems and/or Transit’s Enterprise data repository.
- Systems Analysis - Coordinate client meetings to understand and prioritize business needs. Identify, analyze, and document business rules and requirements. May be asked to write technical evaluations, feasibility studies and/or proposals.
- Technical Lead – Work with project managers to identify, manage, and implement technical solutions. Develop scoping documents and task estimates, and communicate task status to customers, management and teams.
- Customer Service - Provide technically advanced client data support, including producing custom reports and fulfilling data requests. Provide consultation services and presentations to management and customers. Act as a liaison with clients, vendors, contractors, and management staff.
- Technical Writing and Modeling – Write requirements, system analysis, and design documentation. Write and/or oversee writing of operations and maintenance documentation. Create diagrams to describe system architecture, database design, and process and data flow.
- Team Work - Work independently, participate as a team member, or lead development teams consisting of software developers, functional analysts, database administrators, and report developers. Lead or participate in design and code reviews. Mentor staff in area(s) of expertise.
- May be called upon to provide support for service issues or failures at any time.
- Will be required (infrequently) to work outside normal business hours to complete system upgrades or address critical support issues.
- Other duties as assigned.
EXPERIENCE, QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS:
- 5 or more years of dedicated experience developing relational database programs and procedures.
- 3 or more years of dedicated experience using SQL Server databases, preferably version 2012 or later including in depth and current experience programming with SQL Server T-SQL and SQL programming languages. Advanced SQL and T-SQL tuning and optimization skills including experience using SQL Server Management Studio.
- 2 or more years of experience with Oracle databases, preferably version 11G or later, including in depth and current experience programming with Oracle’s PL/SQL and SQL programming languages. SQL and PL/SQL tuning and optimization skills including experience using database programming tools such as TOAD and SQL Developer.
- Advanced knowledge of relational database modeling and design principles including experience creating E/R, process flow data flow diagrams and experience working with business process flow diagrams.
- Experience identifying and documenting business rules and requirements. Skilled in aligning technical solutions and features to business/functional requirements, and tracing/monitoring the fulfillment of requirements.
- Looks beyond the obvious to solve difficult problems and knows when to escalate issues and problems appropriately.
- Skilled in building consensus, settling differences with a minimum of noise and coming to a resolution with a diverse group of individuals.
- Experience using Windows, and UNIX and/or Linux operating systems, including experience using UNIX/Linux and/or Windows batch scripting languages and job scheduling utilities.
- Experience developing high availability applications that run in locked down production environments. Knowledge of production change control processes.
- Advanced knowledge of software engineering principles and practices.
- Effective in a variety of communication settings, using effective verbal, nonverbal, written and listening skills; one-on-one, small and large groups, with peers, managers and end users. Advanced technical writing skills, including experience writing requirement, design, and operations documentation. Skilled in conveying technical information to non-technical users.
- Skilled in gaining trust and support of peers, encourages collaboration and is seen as a team player.
- Advanced skill in resolving conflicts and managing customer expectations. Acts with customers in mind.
- Ability to hold things together during tough times and has the patience to hear people out, whether they agree or disagree.
- Relates well to all kinds of people, presenting the unvarnished truth in an appropriate and helpful manner.
- Skilled in accurately scoping out length and difficulty of tasks and projects, integrating various ideas, intentions, and information to form effective goals, objectives, timelines, action plans, and solutions, steadfastly pushing themselves and others for results.
- Is seen as original, coming up with new and unique ideas pursuing challenges with energy and drive.
- Open to change, seeking feedback and gaining insights from mistakes, analyzing both successes and failures as clues to improvement.
- A bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field.
- Experience working for a local or state government agency and/or in the transportation industry.
- Knowledge of other user interface development tools and associated programming languages.
- Knowledge of methodologies in additional application areas, such as component and Web programming, and security.
- Experience as a project technical lead.
- Experience writing technical analysis and evaluation documents.
- Experience with Team Foundation Server, virtualization, and SharePoint.
NECESSARY SPECIAL QUALIFICATIONS: The candidate selected for this position will be required to pass a background investigation.
WORK SCHEDULE: This position is exempt from the FLSA requirements and is not overtime eligible. Normal work hours are Monday through Friday 8:00 A.M. – 5:00 P.M.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: The work environment is indoors in a general office environment with minimal exposure to health and safety hazards.
ADDITIONAL MATERIALS REQUIRED: Please include a resume and cover letter that describes how you meet or exceed the requirements for this position. These materials are supplemental to your application. You must still completely fill out the application with your relevant education and work experience. Your application may be rejected as incomplete if you include relevant information only on the resume or cover letter.
UNION MEMBERSHIP: Positions in this classification are represented by Professional and Technical Employees, Local 17, Information Technology bargaining unit.