We are the Good Hands; we help people realize their hopes and dreams through products and services designed to protect them from life’s uncertainties and to prepare them for the future. Nearly every major Allstate project has a partnership with technology – a partnership that is imperative to the success of the organization. With the company’s size and related technology scale, job opportunities and career advancement paths in IT are abundant at Allstate. In order to maintain our place at the forefront of the technological landscape, Allstate needs to hire the best and the brightest talent – is that you?
The Encompass Technology Organization supports and develops technology solutions for the Encompass Brand of insurance products within the Allstate Insurance Company.
The Application Developer Consultant design and implement changes to support the Encompass business. The Consultant is involved in the entire systems development lifecycle: documenting design for new features and defect resolution, developing code, participating in code reviews, preparing for and participating in testing and releasing software to production. All application changes are made using the Tenfold Universal Application platform - a framework of rapid-development tools you use to describes the data model, define business rules and business logic, tune and maintain performance and fully customize the application. The applicant should have a working knowledge the systems development lifecycle, understanding of relational databases, a working knowledge of SQL and Oracle, and experience in developing working applications.
- Review and understand detailed business, functional, and high-level technical requirements including technical recovery, security and audit.
- Participate in creating detailed design documents that support interface and technical design and participate in design reviews
- Provide/confirm detailed estimates for assigned work units and provide communications for deviations from estimates. Proactively works with project managers to ensure appropriate time is allocated to assigned tasks.
- Generate and code work units for simple to intermediate changes, enhancements, and modules according to specifications and standards.
- Follows documentation and development standards.
- Accurately document design and code other work.
- Prepare and conduct structured code review.
- Prepare accurate data for test plan and modules. Participate in testing reviews and release cycles.
- Track and resolve simple to intermediate defects.
- Assist in production support activities by determining the nature, impact, and extent of the problem.
- Assist with change management activities supporting production deployment to Developers, Quality Control Analysts, and Environment Management personnel.
- Ensures project artifacts are ready for promotion to production. Communicates and coordinates among developers, QC analysts, and environment management personnel and completes and delivers migration or change management form to above parties.
- Able to effectively communicate with peers, business analysts, project managers, quality control, and across other technology team boundaries
- Must possess strong oral, written and interpersonal communication skills; able to pay close attention to detail, proven project methodologies; and able to handle multiple tasks under tight deadlines.
- Basic understanding of SDLC methodology.
- Knowledge of Object Oriented concepts (inheritance, composition etc...)
- Familiarity with TenFold Universal Application is beneficial.
- Familiarity with IDE’s such as Eclipse, Rational Application Developer etc.is beneficial
- Prior knowledge in the Personal Lines Insurance industry is beneficial.
Associates/Bachelor Degree in MIS or related area, or 0-3 years of equivalent work experience; application familiarity preferred
We are insurance. We are financial services. We are also so much more. We are lawyers, writers, web developers, accountants, building engineers, application developers, project managers and human resource specialists. We are creative, driven, passionate, fearless and curious. Our unique culture of inclusion helps us maximize innovation and creativity. We believe that welcoming differing ideas, cultures and backgrounds gives us a competitive advantage in a diverse, global marketplace. At Allstate, it's our differences that drive our success — as individuals and as a company. We celebrate creative problem-solving as we work together to make a difference in our communities. We believe in providing the very best tools and resources available to help keep our customers — and our employees — in Good Hands®. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest and LinkedIn to find out for yourself... or hear from some of our employees in We Are Allstate
Benefits and Perks
- Pension plan plus 401K
- Career path/succession planning
- Mentoring programs
- Tuition reimbursement
- Modern work spaces
- Flexible schedules
- Generous paid time off (with option to purchase additional days)
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Health and wellness benefits, including: nutrition/weight management, smoking cessation program, stress management, lifestyle coaching, financial resources, healthy choice/subsidized meals at corporate cafeterias, on-site fitness center / doctor / pharmacy / massages
- Corporate discount programs (insurance, automotive, childcare, mobile phone plans, fitness centers, retail)
- Adoption assistance program
- Comprehensive health insurance plans
- Flexible spending accounts (FSA)
- Employee Resource Groups including Allstate Women's Information Network (AWIN), Professional Latino Allstate Network (PLAN), Allstate Asian American Network (3AN), Allstate Network of Gay and Lesbian Employees and Supporters (ANGLES), African American Working Network (AAWN), Young Professional Organization (YPO), Parents Working Together (PWT), Allstate Adoption Network (AAN) and Allstate Veterans Engagement Team and Supporters (AVETS)
Join our award-winning team!
Diversity, balance, innovation and providing an environment where employees can thrive. These are all core values at Allstate, and we have the awards to prove it:
- The World’s Leading Top 100 Companies – Forbes magazine
- Diversity Elite - America’s Best 50 Companies for Minorities – Fortune magazine
- Top 100 Military Friendly Employers List - MilitaryFriendly.com
- 50 Happiest Companies in America - CareerBliss
- Best Places to Work for Recent Grads - ConnectEDU
- 100 Best Companies for Working Mothers – Working Mother magazine
- Top 40 Best Companies for Hispanics to Work – Hispanic Business magazine
- Top 10 Companies for African Americans to Work – DiversityInc
- Top 100 Best Places to Work in IT – Computerworld magazine
- Top 100 Companies for Employee Training and Development – Training magazine