Peak Hosting’s network engineers all have CCIE and JNCIE certifications. If you are looking to work with the best networking minds in the industry, we have an exciting challenge for you.
Peak Hosting seeks a CCIE with deep BGP Network Engineer experience to join our team. This role will focus primarily on BGP route-path optimization, peering, and ISP performance management of a geographically distributed, Managed Hosting data center environments connected via 10-Gig, national backbone. With a primary focus on uptime and stability, this position requires a mature engineer focused on process, communication, documentation and change control to maximize customer uptime.
Desirable candidates will possess a strong background in Layer 2, Layer 3 and Layer 4 technologies, work well and communicate effectively with others, are self-starting, creative, and able to think through and own a project from start to finish. While maintaining the Peak Hosting infrastructure, the candidate will also be expected to take total ownership of our customer networks: from architecture, design, and documentation through deployment and maintenance. The level of support and expertise offered to our customers is a source of pride and is what sets us apart. The ability to understand and manage this commitment is vital for Peak Hosting’s continued success and the success of candidate.
Peak Hosting offers an excellent compensation package including competitive salary and full benefits. If you enjoy a small-company atmosphere where your input is valued and considered, and if you enjoy learning and having fun at the same time, then Peak Hosting is the company for you.
- The ability to interview and impress our JNCIE founder, who’s children’s initials are literally EGP and BGP
Example: With a single line of configuration, prefer exactly 50% of your traffic out a single path
- Experience managing the BGP policy for a national and/or international backbone
- Policy routing including the use of MEDS, Communities, Local-Pref, Weight, etc.
- A biblical understanding of BGP route optimization and path selection, including all 11 BGP selection criteria
- Managing setting up both public and private peering
- Experience with multi-homed ISPs actively balancing and optimizing at least four ISPs simultaneously.
- Full understanding of both confederations and route-reflectors
- Deep understanding of asymmetric routing troubleshooting techniques, tools, and methods.
- HSRP, VRRP, and Spanning-tree including RSTP, RPVST+, MSTP
- Load balancing on A10 Networks, Citrix Netscaler, or F5 equipment
- Firewalling via Cisco access control lists, Juniper SRX, and/or Cisco ASA stateful firewalls
- Good Understanding of VPN technologies, configuration and troubleshooting
- 802.1q (VLAN tagging) and 802.3ad (link aggregation) knowledge required
- Understanding of 95th Percentile billing methodologies
- Very strong understanding of OSI model, IP subnetting, and VLAN architectures
- Linux user and limited system administration tasks
- DNS troubleshooting and limited configuration
- Traffic management via EBGP, multi-homing, and policy routing
- OSPF, BGP, static routing, and redistribution
- ISP escalation and troubleshooting directly with customers and outside vendors
- Experience and understanding of IPv6 configuration
- Cisco Nexus 7K, 5K, 2K and/or Fabric Extender strongly desired, including knowledge of VCP and VSS
- NX OS, vPC, Nexus 55xx + FEX
Strong troubleshooting skills and effective troubleshooting methods including
- layer 1 (e.g., copper cabling troubles / fiber signal strength)
- layer 2 (e.g., Spanning-tree, VLAN tagging, MAC address tracing, ARP issues)
- layer 3 (e.g., routing troubleshooting, EGP versus IGP redistribution, BGP attribute, prefix length issues, OSPF)
- layer 4 (e.g., load balancer and firewall troubleshooting; BGP session troubleshooting)
- layer 5 thru 7 (e.g., DNS issues; assisting with identifying application issues masquerading as network troubles)
Hardware Familiarity Desired
- Cisco Nexus 2K, 5K, and 7K
- Cisco Nexus Platform – 55xx, FEX
- Brocade/Foundry FLS648 and FCX648, FastIron/TurboIron, and XMR
- Juniper M-series routers
- Cisco 6509 and ASR routers/switches
- Server Load Balancers – A10 Networks, Citrix, F5
- Stateful Firewalls – Juniper SRX and Cisco ASA
- Juniper EX experience a plus, but not required
Best Practices and Work Ethic
- Ability to adhere to best practices including maintenance windows, extensive method of procedure (MOP) preparation for maintenances, and change control procedures
- 24 x 7 on-call rotation
- Ability to handle high-pressure situations
- Ability to work quickly and accurately
- Ability to time-slice between multiple networks and multiple customer requirements
- Ability to accept constructive criticism via strict peer review
- Ability to learn via available resources with a minimum of offsite training
- Meticulous and careful – No cowboys! All configuration to be reviewed before application
- Working with ticket queue to track tasks and projects
- Documenting all network topology changes on a wiki and in Visio
- Customer-facing with excellent social skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Willingness and ability to teach and train others
- Ability to provide specific, explicit instructions to remote staff in data centers
- Self-motivated to take ownership of projects with minimal supervision
- Ability to prioritize large list of tasks and bring projects to 100% completion
Preference given to candidates with technical certifications
- Cisco CCIE
- Juniper JNCIE
- Brocade BCNP
Peak Hosting, selected by HostReview as one of the Top 10 companies in the category of Best Managed Hosting, builds the world’s largest Internet properties across every technology vertical. Peak engineers, who average more than 15-plus years of industry experience, have designed, built, and scaled the largest and most well-known Internet giants. Peak Hosting’s service offerings are specifically designed for businesses that want an enterprise-level computing environment for their applications and the peace of mind that comes with an experienced technical operations team.
This is a full time position and is primarily remote/telecommute (work from home) and requires candidates to have a dedicated workspace. The candidate must be comfortable working in a remote environment and as part of a remote team. This a national position (US only), and the candidate will report to the Manager of Technical Operations. Limited travel will be required from time to time.
How To Apply
Please send cover letter, current resume and references to:
PLEASE: No 3rd party consulting firms, contractors, non-local candidates, and/or candidates not authorized to work in the US without sponsorship