At Rovi, we connect people to the entertainment they love. Our products and services power some of the most iconic entertainment and technology brands around the world including Comcast, Samsung, iTunes and Pandora. Rovi is headquartered in Santa Clara, California with over 1,800 employees worldwide working to create a better entertainment experience. To learn more, watch The Rovi Story
Rovi Corporation is a global B2B leader focused on revolutionizing the digital entertainment landscape by delivering software and data solutions to connect people to the movies, music and television they enjoy – anytime, anywhere.
- 130 million viewers use our interactive program guide technologies through cable and satellite service provider offerings. Customers include: Comcast, Cox, Charter, Time Warner Cable, AT&T, Verizon
- Approximately 220 million consumer electronic (CE) devices use our CE-guide technologies including products by: Dell, LG, Motorola, Panasonic, Philips, Pioneer, RCA, Samsung, Siemens, and Sony
- Rovi has information on over 3.6 million TV shows, 28 million tracks and 500,000 movie titles. Metadata customers include: Spotify, Shazaam, MOG, iTunes and Google.
- Rovi’s Cloud services are revolutionizing the consumer electronics industry and service providers space by helping them drive sales and consumption with advanced media search and discovery capabilities.
- Rovi Advertising Network reaches more than 40 million households globally and offers advertisers a platform to serve targeted interactive advertisements with high levels of engagement.
The software and systems performance architect deals with the very complex and interrelated applications and systems being designed for today’s cloud deployment models. The performance architect will help mitigate our technology risk for the business. He or she will plan and manage across the Enterprise performance and scalability processes, tasks and activities.
The performance architect can help negotiate with the business a range of service level agreements for the key business applications and transactions. They can help establish response times for key online transactions, should it be 1 second, 2, 3 or 5 seconds?
A key role of the performance architect is to be the clearing house of Enterprise performance and scalability information. A weak spot in many large enterprises is the sharing of performance information. Often times the Application architect is not aware of how the application is performing in the production environment, how the architecture design decisions perform. The capacity planning team must be aware of any expected changes in the workload, and the capacity planning team that monitors production, can provide feedback on how the application or web site is being used.
We’re looking for a Software and Systems Performance Architect to drive the development and measurement of a private-cloud Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) solution. Must also demonstrate exceptional software engineering or systems engineering skills to ensure the successful migration of existing applications to the new platform.
As you would expect the Software and Systems Performance Architect work will with commercial and open source solutions to instrument the purpose built environments that make up our production platform. The SSPA works closely with application architects and performance managers.
Join the leader in Meta Data as we champion Cloud 2.0. for our customers and partners. Positions to be located in Burbank, Santa Clara, or remote. This positions works on the performance, scalability, and reliability of our end to end solution that address the discovery and analytics of customers and users of entertainment (movie, games, books, and of course music).
- Design and recommend robust performance monitoring framework – What to monitor, How to monitor, Outcome (reports, dashboards, alerts) - Performance Profiling and Monitoring of distributed systems.
- Define and standardize service monitoring approach and success criteria including establishing best practices, standards and governance structure.
- Utilize APM tools (e.g. AppDynamics, Splunk, TrueSight, New Relic), domain specific applications, data and analytics to identify, communicate, and implement performance improvement initiatives.
- Develop and manage processes to support monitoring tools capacity plans, continuity of business, entitlement and compliance to corporate standards
- Performance Test Strategy and Execution
- Performance Monitoring Setup
- Performance Benchmark Strategy and execution
- Resolve performance and availability issues before they impact users in a timely manner.
- Develop, manage and enhance performance throughout subsystems—diagnostics, reporting, analysis and resolution tools help provide advanced application management and monitoring.
- Develop and manage service management processes (request, demand, incident, problem, and change) supporting client requests for monitoring.
- Leveraging Expert knowledge of .NET , SQL Server/J2EE/Oracle /Java/JVM.
- Collaborate with other members of the engineering and IT organizations.
- Use open source or off-the-shelf components to aid in prototyping efforts and production infrastructure improvements.
- Create and maintain documentation of software and infrastructure design.
- Work in a geographically distributed team environment.
- Advocate, document, and follow best design and development practices.
Perform security, scalability, and sustainability reviews.
Desired Skills & Experience
- Understanding of cloud computing domain, key players and technologies.
- Experience building distributed systems and/or fault tolerant software.
- Experience developing solutions deployed in a virtualized environment.
- Experience working in a collaborative development team with version control and automated build process.
- Familiarity with software development processes (Agile, XP, etc.) and CI/CD.
- 5+ years of professional experience developing software in Java, C# or C++.
- Good working knowledge of threading, concurrency, and IO.
- Good understanding of networking fundamentals (IP routing/subnetting, VLANs, HTTP, IPC/RPC).
- Solid understanding of REST service architecture.
- Good working knowledge of relational databases and SQL queries.
- Practical experience with Linux/Unix software development.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong Object Oriented Analysis and Design skills.
- Passionate about engineering, security, scalability, and data center operational efficiency.
- Motivated self-starter, able to be highly productive working alone or in a team. Must work well with limited supervision, capable of juggling multiple priorities, and able to thrive in a fast-paced and demanding environment.
- BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science, Engineering, Math, or Physics.
- Experience with PHP, Python, or Ruby.
- Hands-on experience working with distributed data technologies: Hadoop/HDFS, Cassandra, Solr, MongoDB, Riak, CouchDB, Voldemort, etc.
- Working knowledge of OpenStack. Production deployment experience is a BIG plus.
- Experience with hosted PaaS frameworks: CloudFoundry, Cloudify, OpenShift, Mendix, etc.
- Experience with Enterprise Service Busses – MuleSoft, Apache ServiceMix, Oracle ESB, WebSphere, JBoss, BizTalk, etc.
- Monitoring & Java Debugging (e.g. JProfiler, YourKit).
- Application servers (e.g. JBoss, Tomcat, others).
- Familiarity with Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) and Business Process Modeling (BPM/BPEL) frameworks and environments – OpenText, Oracle BPM
- Understanding of API abstraction and aggregation – Mashery.
- Knowledge of caching solutions – Memcached, Redis, AppFabric.
- Knowledge of ORM solutions such as Hibernate, Entity Framework, Dapper, etc.
- Knowledge of distributed data system performance optimization.
Position may require travel up to 25% of the time