This Global Wintel Engineer’s role is to plan, organize, manage, and support the x86 centralized server environment ensuring that all equipment is properly installed, configured, tested, maintained, and upgraded. This includes developing, maintaining, supporting, and optimizing key functional areas, particularly the highly virtualized server infrastructure, critical business applications, such as Active Directory, messaging, monitoring, capacity planning, disaster recovery, and backups of the environment. Excellent communication and teamwork skills are a must. This position will report to the Wintel Team supervisor at the Company. This position will ensure that the support tickets and critical outages are properly addressed. This role will need to be able to work closely with other teams as needed, including the SAN engineers, networking engineers, business liaisons, and sometimes end users (customers). In this fast-paced and demanding environment, this engineer must be able to manage multiple projects while balancing support issues.
· Must be able to blend with our current culture of cooperation and teamwork, and work with a mix of employee staff and external contractor/consultants.
· Must possess a positive attitude, be ambitious, and self-motivated, and reliable.
· Ensure global documentation, as it relates to responsible systems, are defined, documented, and maintained.
· Must have good technical problem solving skills, be very organized, have good communication skills (oral and written).
· This role will be on-call 24x7, and will be expected to escalate and communicate, as well as troubleshoot any critical system outages.
· Responsible for the support and maintenance of the 700+server Wintel environment, including Microsoft software, Linux, and VMware.
· Perform system administration of the operating systems, for the following environments: Web, File, Print, DNS, DHCP, Antivirus, SCCM, SCOM, Exchange, Active Directory, and Linux machines.
· Server monitoring & performance – monitoring of disk space, system and application errors, memory and swap space utilization, disk performance, CPU, and processes.
· Backups/archives/restores – configure and automate system, application and database backups; perform restores as needed including offsite recovery.
· Work with the architecture and engineering teams (Server, Network, Storage, Citrix, Data Center) to execute on designs, upgrades, and be able to perform implementation/configuration changes.
· Executes administrative and operational policies consistent with corporate and department goals, strategic planning, and growth objectives.
· Ability to occasionally work beyond routine nature of tasks utilizing specialized knowledge and technology.
· Provides technical support and training to the team on all related technologies as needed.
· Performs effectively and timely in a fast paced environment.
· Participate in and contribute to an effective change control process.
· Excellent knowledge of Windows Active Directory Domains integration and interaction with the network, Group Policy, Anti-Virus applications, DHCP, DNS, and WINS.
· Excellent knowledge of VMWare ESXi 3.5/4/4.1/5.0/5.1.
· Knowledge of Exchange Server 2003/2007/2010 in a clustered environment.
· Strong understanding on Storage Area Networks, Network Attached Storage, storage system capacity and performance, fiber channel, NFS, iSCSI, and FCOE protocols.
· Strong knowledge of backup solutions, such as Symantec Commvault Simpana 8/9, tape and VTL, backup to disk, snapshots, scheduling and backup windows.
· Knowledge Citrix XenApp 6.0 and above.
· Knowledge of MS SQL Server 2000/2005/2008/2012.
· Knowledge of SCCM 2012, including patch management, software deploy, and inventory.
· Knowledge of networking infrastructures, including switching and routing, LAN, WAN, VPN, etc.
· Ability to build, configure, secure, and administer Microsoft operating systems such as Windows 2000, 2003, 2008, 2012 in an Active Directory environment.
Excellent Knowledge of monitoring tools, such as Solar Winds, Quest Spotlight, Quest Message Stats, etc.
· Experience with server hardware, such as IBM, HP, Cisco or Dell blade center or rack-mount servers that have x86 CPUs, RAM, PCIe and other expansions cards, disks, network adapters, storage controllers, power supplies, and KVM-based systems.
· High level of analytical and problem-solving abilities with attention to detail.
· Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. for installation into a datacenter environment.
· 10 years of experience supporting and implementing/administrating enterprise Wintel solutions in a virtualized corporate environment.
· 10 years of Active Directory and Exchange experience.
· 6 years of blade center servers.
· Microsoft, Exchange, VMware, Cisco, IBM/HP/Dell, or EMC certifications required.
· Bachelor’s of Sciences degree
· Background in supply and distribution environments.
· Knowledge of network devices routers, firewalls, switches, and storage area networks.
· 80% typical office environment
· 20% datacenter environment located nearby
This position reports to the VMware Systems Engineering Supervisor, who reports to the director of Enterprise Computing.