JOB SUMMARY - Storage infrastructure engineer
The purpose of this position is to gather requirements to facilitate proper designs, return customer infrastructure to service, identify, test, and select new technologies, adjust/maintain standards of existing technologies and products, maintain storage related technologies, and assist with requirements gathering for proper design/installations.
Primary responsibilities include both Internal and Customer facing storage infrastructure which includes, but is not limited to, technologies from HP (MSA, EVA, and XP Series), EMC (Clariion, Atmos, and Symmetrix/VMAX Series), 3Par (F, S, and T Series), NetApp NAS/SAN, Equallogic iSCSI, Cisco/Brocade/McData Fiber Switches.
The incumbent in this role must be able to understand, follow and repeat documented procedures related to various maintenance activities.
Certain maintenance activities will require this role to be available after-hours. This position will also be required to interface with front-end Engineers on level 4 issues, keep apprised of patches, latest technologies, and upcoming infrastructure installations.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, COMPETENCIES & EXPERIENCE (describes minimum levels of formal education, training, and applicable experience required to perform the role.)
• Successful candidates should have a minimum of 7-9 years of industry related experience or a Bachelor’s degree and compensatory experience.
• Experience with large corporate environments preferred
• Storage Technology related certifications or training highly desirable (HP, EMC, 3Par, NetApp, Cisco, etc.)
• Experience with moving/migrating systems and data
• Strong technical knowledge of server, storage, operating systems and network infrastructures highly are desirable.
• Excellent documentation, communication and interpersonal skills
• Excellent analytical and problem-solving abilities
• 3+ years experience managing enterprise class storage arrays
• 3+ years experience with storage protocols – SCSI, iSCSI, Fibre Channel, NFS, CiFS
• Capability to mine performance and capacity data from enterprise arrays and formulate valuable analysis • Strong understanding of replication and snapshot methodologies used in enterprise storage environments • Experience maintaining high availability storage sub-systems capacity and configuration • Experience troubleshooting complex incidents and problems associated to storage environments and related applications • The ideal candidate should be able to demonstrate the following competencies: Data Gathering & Analysis, Problem Solving, Conceptual Thinking, Attention to Detail, Use of Technical Expertise, Initiative, and Teamwork/Team Building • Provide Capacity, Configuration, Performance and Availability management services for all storage related technologies/infrastructure • Work Storage related customer consultations as required • Respond to, and update on projects or tickets assigned through internal systems with complete notes, milestones, and estimated time of completion • Provide regular updates on all projects and identifying potential risks to management • Create and maintain documentation to support the customer configurations for customer, as well as, shared environments • Deploy and manage associated application platforms used to manage the environment • Create knowledge base articles that can be used by tier one support engineers in response to routine incidents • Identify and schedule routine maintenance events for internal and customer facing equipment • Engineer and maintain storage environment characteristics, including: physical array characteristics, logical disk layout, standard configurations, storage network • Analyze data and develop meaningful reports to be used by technical and business leaders • Serve as third tier escalation for incidents or problems in customer environments that could be related to the storage environment • Manage advanced data protection functions such as replication, cloning and snapshots as required by the customer • Establish and periodically monitor billing exports • Maintain skill set on all related technologies • Maintain storage environment characteristics including, but not limited to: physical array characteristics, logical disk layout, standard configurations, storage network • Return to service of Infrastructure as needed • Analyze capacity and performance for all storage infrastructure to ensure availability growth and readiness for new customers