Do you have a passion for Avionics, a background with large scale networks, and a penchant for system design and development? If you are comfortable working on Linux and Android O/S, and looking to be a part of a truly world class organization, please read on. We would love to hear from you.
Thales Group is a global technology leader for the Defence & Security and the Aerospace & Transport markets. The company generated revenues of EU14bn annually. It employs over 67,000 employees in more than 50 countries www.thalesgroup.com
Thales is a global leader in aerospace. Our products and systems are everywhere on aircraft and in airports. Thales is the only company in the world with leadership positions in both onboard equipment (cockpit and cabin solutions) and ground equipment (radar, air traffic management systems, etc.) This leadership in Aerospace makes Thales the world's only company with the capacity to provide a comprehensive end-to-end response to the complexity and challenges of air transport.
Founded in 1999, Thales IFEC is a worldwide leader in In-Flight Entertainment and Connectivity systems. Our product and service offering is an end-to-end solution that supports our customers before, during and after the flight. More than 130,000 passengers use Thales IFE daily (equivalent to 50 million users per year). To date, 60 airlines around the world have utilized close to 150,000 Thales IFE systems. www.thales-ifs.com.
To support our development and growth, we are looking for:
Principal Systems Engineer - Platform Lead
The Systems Engineer - Platform Lead is responsible for leading the development activities of an integrated cabin entertainment system. We are looking for individuals that require minimal supervision who are responsible for the technical planning, organizing and coordination of multiple engineering disciplines. This will include MS Project schedules, budget reviews, and MS PowerPoint presentations with technical risk assessments, mitigation plans, and providing overall development status to management.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
* Performs all the activities related to definition, design, documentation, and support required to ship high quality systems to the customer throughout the development cycle:
* Schedule/budget establishment, commitment and follow up
* Analyze requirements coming from the aircraft manufacture/customer
* Design the system architecture and data flow
* Develop system requirements
* Monitoring implementation activity in coordination with the software department or subcontractors
* Plans, coordinates, and organizes phases of the project to completion; utilizes schedules to organize and understand project tasks and manages the tasks throughout the system design and verification phases.
* Commit on schedule and budget constraints for the project. Provides budgetary status of program against plan and future work load.
* Identifies and resolves potential problems before they occur therefore minimizing the impact to schedule and cost.
* Coordinates the development of documentation for each respective phase. The definition phase includes the following documentation: Systems Requirements Specification, System Design Documentation, Interface Control Documentation, Modeling and Simulation Documentation.
* Exercises a high degree of initiative and independent judgment in coordinating the work of peer personnel within the group and external groups as well.
* Dialogs closely with software, LRU designers, mechanical, installation and certification experts to make sure the system requirements are met
* Propose process changes to improve the efficiency and quality of work.
* The candidate must be a team player, a self-starter, must be autonomous and self driven
* Performing other duties as assigned and may travel.
Key Skills and requirements:
* The Systems Engineer - Platform Lead must have very good knowledge in all phases of systems development: requirements analysis, architecture, technical design, implementation, reviews, integration, testing, and release.
* BS in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or related field and eight to ten years experience in avionic systems design and integration.
* Must be knowledgeable of large scale networks using TCP/IP, Ethernet switches, digital video distribution, and avionics equipment requirements.
* Knowledge of switch Ethernet communications, serial buses (RS485, 232) and avionic buses (ARINC 429, Ethernet)
* Basic knowledge in Internet Technology (TCP/IP, HTML, browsers, servers, MPEG1/2/4, MP3)
* Basic knowledge with LINUX and/or Android operating systems
* Strong documentation and communication skills.
* Proficiency with operating Windows and LINUX applications as well as standard computer tools (MW Word, MS Excel, MS Project, MS Visio, MS PowerPoint, DOORs)
* Experience with Software architecture, development and integration required.
* Knowledge of avionics requirements and FAA processes with a focus on In-flight Entertainment is a plus
Thales Avionics Inc. - IFS offers an excellent benefits package which includes medical, dental , vision, 401K, PTO, Basic Life and AD&D, Short and Long Term Disability, Business Travel Accident Insurance, International Medical Benefits, Flexible Spending Accounts and an Educational Assistance Program, just to name a few of the offerings.
If this opportunity interests you, please visit www.thalesgroup.com/careers/ and apply using our e-staffing tool. Thales thanks all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Thales Avionics is a diverse workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. We conduct pre-employment drug testing. Please do not apply if you require sponsorship to work in the USA. Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
Job Posting: 04-Mar-2014, 3:41:18 PM
Department: 04 - R&D : Systems Engineering & General Studies