- Postgres DBA
- Date Posted:
- San Mateo, CA
- Area Code:
- Employ. Type:
- Pay Rate:
- Job Length:
- Position ID:
- Dice ID:
- Travel Required:
- Postgres DBA
- San Mateo, CA
The DBA will be part of Asurion’s Infrastructure and Operations team at AMA (Asurion Mobile Applications). AMA is an entrepreneurial organization within Asurion’s Technology Products group. AMA staff works closely with other Asurion locations (US, India, Japan, China) to architect, engineer, and deliver high-quality software solutions for Asurion’s business units worldwide. This position, involves planning and supporting of AMA databases. This role includes troubleshooting of Postgres DB issues. DB Engineer is responsible for AMA's databases that support the business. This role has broad responsibility for ensuring that AMA's databases are up 24X7. The ideal candidate is a strategic thinker who plans, researches, evaluates and develops database solutions. The incumbent provides DB/Postgres expertise to resolve production issues. Furthermore, the Engineer documents the present and upcoming databases. As a member of the team, the incumbent mentors, coaches and develops junior engineers.
- Works with NOC (Network Operations Center) and provides assistance and resolution for Postgres database issues
- Develop, recommend, and assist with implementation of upgrades and DB improvements
- Develop solutions to complex database problems
- Display a high level of thinking in bringing successful resolution to high-impact, complex and/or cross-functional problems
- Responsible for training junior engineers on existing/new solutions and technologies
- Plan, implement, and/or engineer solutions based on project requirements
- Build and Configure development, QA, test and production databases
- Integrates applications by designing database architecture and server scripting; studying and establishing connectivity with network systems, search engines, and information servers.Monitoring/tracking databases and direct ownership for tracking the resolution of escalated incidents
- Work with NOC on escalated critical DB alerts and drives efficient resolution for incidents
- Responsible for timely installation, patching and upgrading of Postgres databases
- Reviews log files and monitoring data for problems and perform proactive maintenances
- Participates in RCA for production issues and be responsible to provide one for DB issues.
Qualifications - General
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Sciences or related field (an equivalent combination of related education, training, and experience may be considered)
- 8 -10 years of experience in related work preferred
- Solid analytical, debugging and troubleshooting skills
- Solid interpersonal, communications, organizational and time management skills
- Strong self-motivation and the ability to work with minimal supervision
- Able to work in a fast paced environment
- History of working in conjunction with overseas Eastern/Western European firms or partners desirable
- Able to work evenings and weekends when required and be a self-starter/initiator
Qualifications - Technical
- Database administration (Postgres strongly preferred), including: installation, initialization, authentication, catalog navigation, query tuning, system tuning, resource contention analysis, backup and recovery, standby, replication, etc.
- Core Linux, Shell and Perl expertise
- Solid knowledge of performance tuning and troubleshooting issues.
- Solid working experience with production issues on high volume Postgres databases
- Solid experience working with development, QA and test teams providing support as SME for database/Postgres solutions
- 6+ years of experience in complex multi-vendor production environment
- Experience and proficiency in database standards, 24X7 support, operations support, high volume databases, performance tuning and troubleshooting.
- Has quantifiable experience designing and implementing comprehensive Postgres solutions
- Database design, to support developers in making scalable decisions in schema design and data processing models.
- Able to create comprehensive documentation using Visio and related tools
Asurion is the global leader in technology protection services. From lost, stolen and damaged wireless handsets to malfunctioning computers, gaming systems and more, Asurion, together with sister-company NEW, provides more than 200 million consumers worldwide with best-in-class service, repair, replacement and delivery. The company also provides products which can protect a consumer’s wireless content and software. Asurion is the exclusive provider to many of the world's premier telecommunications and retail companies. The company is privately-held with more than 10,000 employees and operates in six countries across three continents. For more information, please visit www.asurion.com.