Who We Are:
At Verizon, our people are busy changing the world—tackling the toughest challenges in areas like Healthcare, Energy, Public Safety, and Education. With an outward focus on our customers and integrity at our core, we're creating technology solutions that help businesses optimize their operations, families connect from anywhere, and whole communities leave smaller, greener footprints. The result? Widespread impact on the way people live, work and play across the entire globe.
That's why we need the best and the brightest minds to join our team. People like you—determined to push boundaries, drive real change, and help us create a smarter, better future for all.
What We Do:
From secure cloud computing, to Machine-to-Machine communications, to robust omnichannel experiences, we're spearheading tomorrow's innovations, today. Our solutions are empowering individuals, businesses, and communities everywhere to unlock their potential and realize the power of technology. That means connecting children to hands-on learning experiences, enabling global businesses to build mobile workforces, and helping municipalities run greener and more efficiently. Simply put: we're creating a better future. And you can be a part of it.
What We Offer:
On top of being a part of the company that's changing the world through groundbreaking technology, you'll enjoy a competitive salary and benefits so robust we call them Total Rewards.
- Medical, dental and vision
- Award-winning training
- Tuition assistance
- 401(k) savings plan
- Employee discounts on plans and technology
- Health and wellness programs
- DNS, Excel, Flash, ISP, Linux, Management, Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Routers, SysAdmin, System Administrator, TCP/IP, Unix, UPS, Windows
- Date Posted:
- Santa Monica, CA
- Area Code:
- Employ. Type:
- CON_CORP CON_IND CON_W2 CON_HIRE_CORP CON_HIRE_IND CON_HIRE_W2
- Position ID:
- Dice ID:
- Travel Required:
- One Verizon Way
- Basking Ridge, NJ 07920-1097
The Linux System Administrator as a member of our Systems Operations department will be responsible for implementing and maintaining the production platform for EdgeCast’s Content Delivery Network and Managed/Co-location services. This individual will be responsible for supporting production affecting issues as they are escalated from the NOC, from our sophisticated monitoring systems and sourced internally from within Infrastructure Operations. All candidates for this role must be able to prioritize and manage issues of varying complexity and criticality. SysAdmin are responsible for resolving 80% of escalations before escalating to next-tier support. This individual will assist Systems Operations and Data Center Management with the daily operations/maintenance of our production systems and will participate in projects to automate and improve current processes. RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform planning, configuration, deployment and maintenance work associated with the EdgeCast production environments supporting our CDN and Dedicated Hosting and Cloud Storage products
- Perform systems administration tasks associated with implementation, migration and deployments utilizing remote-hands.
- Quickly and efficiently troubleshoot simple and complex issues in order to provide outstanding support for customer and internal needs.
- Identify areas for process and efficiency improvement within Systems Operations; recommend solutions and assist in overseeing implementation.
- Actively facilitate continuous improvement.
- Ensure all necessary operational processes and procedures are carried out with a high level of attention to detail, expediency and on- time delivery .
- Create and maintain system information diagrams and detailed documentation.
- Monitor various systems capacity and provide analytics & forecasts for added or reduced capacity as required .
- Use strong communication skills (both written and verbal) to direct with pr ecision and clarity remote-hands technicians over the phone to execute deployment, break-fix, and upgrade plans accurately.
- Travel on an infrequent basis both domestically and internationally to accomplish on-site maintenance.
- BA/BS preferred (or equivalent experience).
- 3-5 years of relevant experience including in managing Windows and Linux/Unix platforms in these functions: DNS/ADS, RAID, system configuration and administration, media streaming (in Flash, Windows, QT, Real)
- Thorough understanding of TCP/IP Strong understanding of load balancing clusters, SLB, firewalls, ISPs, routers, HVAC systems, UPS, backup generators.
- Ability to manage servers and direct contract remote-hands personnel remotely and with a high-degree of precision .
- Minimum 3 years of experience working with servers and network technologies.
- Must possess strong documentation skills using Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Word and other online documentation tools such as a wiki . Experience using an operational ticketing system to record changes and work history details such as Team Support, OTRS or Service Now .
- Must be able to communicate with precision and clarity with remote-hands technicians over the phone to execute datacenter deployment plans accurately.
- 1-2 years of CDN or ISP experience is highly preferred
Equal Employment Opportunity
- Verizon is a Federal Contractor
- Verizon requests veteran priority referrals
- Verizon is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer M/F/Disability/Vet.
Posted Date: 2014-07-25 04:20:54 UTC
Category: Information Technology/MIS