- Local Area Network
- Network Engineer
- Network wiring
- Service Level Agreement
- Strategic Plan
- disaster recovery
- meet deadlines
Title: Network Engineer
Location: Sunnyvale. CA
The Client: City of Sunnyvale
Duration: 6 Months
Notes: This is the onsite position from day one.
Essential Job Functions
- Plans, designs, recommends, installs, upgrades, and supports data center activities and systems of data,
- voice, radio and video network infrastructures, equipment, servers, and applications to achieve optimum
- performance in accordance with the IT Service Level Agreement (SLA).
- Reviews and evaluates technological network related needs and recommends appropriate solutions; works
- closely with vendors to ensure complete and successful projects.
- Troubleshoots, upgrades, or configures network systems or server hardware or operating system issues to
- determine cause(s) of failure and resolves problems including relocation of wiring infrastructure and
- ensuring compliance with warranties and/or specifications.
- Performs structured and complex analyses and develops integrated information flow according to
- documentation related to area of assignment.
- Monitors system capacity and utilization and performance of systems or networks and performs necessary
- restructure or recommends expansion.
- Upgrades network operating systems, server and storage systems and configures software.
- Researches, designs, develops security and integrity of network systems to ensure protection from
- inappropriate access or destruction to include disaster recovery and business continuity.
- Implements a preventive maintenance routine identifying weaknesses of current system to determine
- critical server/storage or networking issues.
- Evaluates and monitors cost acquisition of network and server related items to obtain the best results,
- meet budget guidelines and ensure system compatibility.
- Assists in the development and execution of preventive maintenance programs identifying weaknesses of
- current systems to determine critical server/storage or network issues, including cybersecurity.
- Develops technical system documentation, training materials and provides training to users and other
- support staff.
- Leads and coordinates IT, departmental, and vendor resources for projects in accordance with project plan.
- Prepares presentation materials for meetings, documents and follows up accordingly.
- Assists in the development and operations of the IT Strategic Plan (ITSP).
- Provides input, recommendations on new technology and solicits technical specifications.
- Communicates clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing.
- Assists in the creation of operational procedure manuals.
- Sets timelines and expectations for tasks within various project plans.
- Provides guidance to team members.
- Acts as a liaison between the various divisions within the department along with the client departments.
- Provides subject-matter expertise on complex technical issues related to their area of focus.
- Minimum 5 - 7 years network/system engineering.
- Current CCNP
- Network design and troubleshooting
- Principles and practices of excellent customer service.
- Principles and practices of ITSM (IT Service Management) systems to include incident/problem management; request fulfilment; knowledgebase; asset management and IT service catalogs.
- Network traffic and performance parameters, including understanding telecommunications theory and practice.
- Methods and procedures of systems administration and security and integrity maintenance.
- Connectivity, system integration, and network design.
- Structure development, features, and access including configurations protocol and interfacing.
- Current developments and trends of network technologies and/or server/data storage technologies.
- Principles and methods of system and storage capacity, physical, virtual and cloud-based Local Area Network wiring and distribution methods.
- Wide Areas Networking Connectivity utilizing T1, T3 and fiber backbone transports.
- Advanced cybersecurity practices and procedures.
- Office methods, procedures, software and equipment.
- Applicable industry and safety codes and technology standards.
- Principles of project management, task completion and resource management.
- Microsoft Office, Microsoft Project and Microsoft Visio.
- Team formation and execution; how to motivate teams.
- Cost-benefit analyses to recommend the most effective solution.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; translate between technical and non technical terms.
- Identify, analyze and define administrative and technical issues, collect information, establish facts, draw valid conclusions, and make appropriate recommendations.
- Effectively organize, prioritize and follow-up on work assignments to meet established deadlines.
- Proven excellent customer service skills.
- Provide technical advice and consultation to City staff in person, online, over the telephone, or by email.
- Identify, analyze and resolve customer/user problems; take appropriate corrective action to problems; research technical materials to provide solutions to problems, or refer problems to appropriate staff.
- Learn complex principles, practices, techniques and regulations pertaining to assigned duties.
- Effectively interpret and explain applicable processes, regulations, information technology protocols and hardware/software application solutions to users; listen and communicate information to persons with a diverse background of knowledge and experience.
- Establish, maintain and promote positive and effective working relationships with employees, other agencies, public officials and the public.
- Demonstrate initiative and exercise good judgment in the performance of duties.
- Respond to cybersecurity issues and remediate in a timely manner as instructed.
- Recognize, set and follow priorities to meet deadlines.