Summary of Position:
Embedded Hardware Engineer’s III responsibilities are to provide technical experience to a multi-disciplinary team, including firmware, hardware, software, and mobile developers. The ability to be responsive, flexible, and communicate clearly, both technical and non-technical.
Embedded Hardware Engineer will participate in the design, integration, and improvement of the firmware stacks for the computational board embedded in the devices. This will include component selection, schematic design, PCB layout, and board bring-up activities.
- Use technical knowledge to influence decisions over multiple teams and products
- Work as an adviser to the product leadership team
- Participate in high-level reviews of architecture and product designs
- Demonstrate a high level of design creativity and positive impact
- Work to explore external technology offerings
- Work with external vendors regarding current and future technology needs
- Work cross¬ functionally with various groups (HW, SW, Product, ME) to develop and validate potential new product and service offerings
- Work closely with the hardware engineering team to integrate and test device drivers
- Design, develop, and create applications and code for computer systems or programs based on business, client, and functional requirements
- Create, analyze, manage, and triage regression test plans, and scripts for test automation
- Troubleshoot technical system or software issues experienced during development and exercise independent judgment and discretion to determine strong solutions
- Leverage knowledge of embedded security, operating systems, virtualization technology, anti-tamper, or other areas of expertise to apply technologies and solve new problems
- Ensure efficient and streamlined version control and workflow, supporting the team in a fast-paced Agile/Scrum environment)
- Ensures Accountability
- Tech Savvy
- Communicates Effectively
- Values Differences
- Customer Focus
- Drives Results
- Plans and Prioritizes
- Decision Quality
This position is 25% at the client site, depending on the project. This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee in this position frequently communicates with other co-workers/clients who have inquiries about the various projects and other needs. Must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations. The employee must be able to remain in a stationary position 75% of the time. The employee in this position needs to occasionally move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc. Constantly operate a computer and office machinery such as a calculator, keyboard, copy machine, and printer. Frequently moves boxes with equipment weighing up to 60lbs across the building and to other offsite buildings for various project needs.
Required Education and Experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or equivalent required
- 5+ years of hardware development experience including full life cycle and design-to-delivery experience
- Strong understanding of common Systems Development Lifecycle (SDLC) methodologies, including Waterfall and Agile/SCRUM
- Hands-on experience in rapid prototyping of hardware, including utilizing dev kits, 3D printing, and embedded software
- Full product life-cycle experience, including brainstorming, product prototyping, and realization, design for very-low-cost manufacturing, high-volume manufacturing, and field support
- Assess and articulate testing needs for applications/projects quickly and clearly
- Ability to work independently, make sound discretionary judgments, and without close supervision once high-level goals are defined
- Ability to practically apply a high degree of theoretical knowledge and understanding of computer systems and programming to computer systems
- Ability to analyze and solve complex problems quickly and creatively
- Ability to transition from one technology stack to another with ease
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills. Additionally, the role requires a proven ability to read and understand test requirements and list out the logical testing path
- Self-motivated and team player
- Strong attention to detail, multi-tasker, and ability to follow written and verbal instructions
- Experience with PCB design and layout, including ORCAD design package
- Experience with regulatory compliance for hardware including FCC, UL, IEEE-1725, and CEC
- Experience with embedded system design including processor selection, communication protocols (USB, SPI, I2C, etc.), extremely low power design, sensor integration, and multi-radio integration
- Experience with RF technology and RF design, especially for Bluetooth and Wi-Fi
- Experience with basic mechanical design including CAD design tools such as SolidWorks and 3D modeling of electronic designs
- General experience with software/programming
- Familiar with Software Defined Networking concepts
- Experience working with embedded protocols (I2C, SPI, etc.)
- Ability to communicate at a deep level to technology experts in a related field
- Experience/Ability to interface to outside resources (vendors, cross-org, cross-group)
3MD Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on gender, sex, age, race and color, religion, marital status, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status or any other category that is protected by applicable law.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.