Nabors is a leading provider of advanced technology for the energy industry. With operations in about 20 countries, Nabors has established a global network of people, technology and equipment to deploy solutions that deliver safe, efficient and responsible hydrocarbon production. By leveraging its core competencies, particularly in drilling, engineering, automation, data science and manufacturing, Nabors aims to innovate the future of energy and enable the transition to a lower carbon world.
Nabors is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants and prohibiting discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, religion, age, color, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This applies to all terms and conditions of employment including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training. To learn more about our Fair Employment practices, please refer to the Nabors Code of Conduct.
The Data Technologist- Indirect Tax group will provide innovative technology analysis and solutions to complex state and local tax issues, especially those involving current and new sales tax and property tax automation systems at Nabors. Specific activities include system implementation, maintenance and problem solving involved in tax automation and compliance and audit defense.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Represents the tax department and acts as a liaison with the IT department and other business functional departments.
- Builds working rapport with other departments to understand / explain impact of tax automation software.
- Provides technical knowledge in the design (e.g. tax data requirements), development, implementation, maintenance, and support of enterprise indirect tax systems.
- Plans, designs, and executes testing practices (ex. UAT) to validate the solutions meet the functional specifications.
- Analyze, implement, and validate monthly tax engine rate, rule, and jurisdiction updates.
- Identifies and recommends process and system improvements. Participates in implementing efficiencies through Indirect Tax group.
- Preform critical analysis of tax system test results and deliver solutions to problem areas.
- Configure and test taxability overrides in tax engine. Coordinate with IT to ensure changes are operating as expected.
- Communicate tax system changes to impacted groups within the tax department as well as internal stakeholders.
- Collection of data for tax analytics and reporting enhancements.
- Develop end-user documentation including user guides, knowledge documents, and training materials.
- Perform other duties as assigned, including special projects related to indirect tax.
- Possible assistance with direct tax systems in the future.
- Develop annual goals and review progress regularly with leadership
- Attend relevant training programs
- Computer literate with knowledge of PC software (Excel, Word)
- Proficient understanding of data extract / transform / load (ETL) tools (e.g. Alteryx, SQL)
- Prior experience in tax technology, including implementation and maintenance of automated tax systems
- Experience with Oracle and Microsoft Dynamics 365
- At least 5 years of relevant experience
- Bachelors degree in Accounting, Finance or computer science relevant field
- Familiarity with data visualization and analytics tools (e.g. Power BI)
- Experience testing application releases, version upgrades, etc., and documenting results
- ERP systems (Oracle, Hyperion, EiS)
- Property tax software (PTMS)
- Experience with Vertex tax engine software including North America Sales Tax O Series and/or SureTax
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS / WORKING CONDITIONS
- Office environment
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk and use hands. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision