Job Title: Design Engineer-Automobile
Location: Belleville, MI (Onsite)
Reporting to: Engineering Manager
Experienced Design Engineer needed to support design and development team for a Tier One automotive supplier. Qualified candidates will have good communication skills and a can-do attitude. High electrical and mechanical acumen required.
- BSEE or BSME from a 4+ year accredited university required.
- Strong electrical practical knowledge preferred.
- 2+ years experience as a Design Engineer. Experience with e-drives and powertrain launch systems is preferred.
- Research of customer design requests and specifications to determine optimum design solutions.
- Working and coordinating activities with Test Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering and Quality groups.
- Develop drawings in accordance with applicable standards.
- Develop 3D models of complex drivetrain systems.
- Ambition to improve existing designs where applicable.
- Conduct design reviews both on-site and at customer locations.
- Creating and maintaining project timelines.
- Be responsible for meeting customer and internal design milestones.
- Open-minded, creative, forward thinker with ability to formulate VA/VE proposals for current and new designs.
- Self-starter that can work independently and as part of a team.
- Strong written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Flexibility to work and communicate with non-fluent English speakers.
- Improving corporate engineering / design standards.
- Making standard part models (to initiate new designs).
- Meet with suppliers to support design reviews.
- Conduct benchmarking/competitive analysis activities.
- Ability to travel internationally.
- Component and Assembly modeling using CATIA V5.
- Developing DFMEAs, ADVPR, and root cause/problem solving analysis.
- Design and optimization of electrical and mechanical components for automotive drivetrain systems.
- Development of wiring diagrams, schematics, and layouts.
- Familiar with electrical system modeling analysis.
- Analysis for mechanical systems, including FEA for structural, fatigue, thermal, and vibration.
- Creating test procedures with testing department for validation requirements.
- Assembly kinematic / motion studies
- Creating and detailing 3'rd angle projection drawings for components and assemblies.
- Development and release of quote drawings.
- GD&T (ASME Y14.5 1994, 2009) proficiency and ability to apply to new designs.
- Developing and maintaining Design BOM's.
- Performing file translations (.cat to .stp, etc).
- Japanese as a first or second language preferred.
- Unigraphics / NX/ Creo or equivalent solid modeling software.
- Microsoft Office suite products (PowerPoint, Word, Excel, Project).
- Performing completion of tolerance stacks.
- Manufacturing and assembly methods (stamping, casting, heading, welding, etc).
- Test fixture design.
- Functional gauging and inspection.