- Node . js
- agile development
- continuous integration
About the Role
As the Lead Software Engineer, you will design and develop new services for a global security system serving millions of users. You will consistently manage and ship high quality and timely releases that solve complex problems end-to-end in a team environment in alignment with customer needs and business goals. As part of the Brivo team, you will work with people who are dedicated to creating a great customer experience, are focused on quality in every aspect of their work, and are constantly seeking to learn and improve.
You will be responsible for team management, monitoring, reporting along with proper and timely project execution. You will work with senior management to define software requirements and take the lead on operational and technical projects. As a Lead Engineer, you should be able to prioritize well, communicate clearly, work across multiple facets of the project and juggle multiple responsibilities at the same time. In this role, you should be able to work with minimal supervision. You will proactively familiarize yourself with all components and technologies of the system and gain an understanding of the overall Brivo ecosystem.
This position is based in Provo/Lehi, Utah but allows for partially remote work with the ability to travel to offices in Utah and occasional travel to Bethesda Maryland or other locations. Occasional work, meetings, or on-call availability may be required outside of regular business hours.
You will also be expected to:
- Lead a team of 3-5 software and QA engineers
- Be a hands-on coder with the team at least 50% of the time
- Manage day to day priorities for the team
- Work closely with technical leadership, product management, and other team leads to define feature requirements, drive architecture and design, and provide technical decisions for team in line with architectural goals
- Actively and constructively collaborate with team members, other engineers, design team, and product stakeholders to plan feature work, enhancements, and technical debt reduction for your team’s products
- Work closely with other software, mobile, and device developers across multiple teams.
- Maintain active and effective communication with the director and other members of the leadership team regarding progress or obstacles with the work.
- Become a subject matter expert and maintain advanced programming skills in the languages and tools required for the position.
- Coach and mentor other developers to help them grow and excel in their role and identify potential training needs on the team
- Hire, onboard, and provide performance feedback for team members
- Commit to continuous learning and improvement of development and quality strategies
- Foster DevOps culture and product ownership amongst team
- Work with agile team to complete code reviews, sprint planning, and backlog grooming
- BS degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field or equivalent experience.
- 8+ years experience in developing complex web applications with Node.js and 5+ years experience with React
- Ability to describe how to scale securely and responsively
- 3+ years AWS experience
- Real hands-on time deploying a full production stack of Lambda/API Gateway/DynamoDB/RDS
- Experience managing and leading a team of local and remote developers in building software from inception / planning to implementation / support
- Strong foundation in web applications and services with modern software architecture
- Experience with the following:
- Releasing microservices to cloud environment with zero downtime
- Designing and optimizing database schemas and queries
- Setting up and managing CI builds
- Working with agile development methodologies, continuous integration, test-driven development and GIT version control
- Experience with Python/Django is a plus
- Ability to translate business requirements into technical solutions
- Ability to think and operate beyond the scope of the immediate work
- Attention to detail and ability to develop features in an iterative manner
- Passionate about creating effective user experiences
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Brivo is the global leader in mobile, cloud-based access control for commercial real estate, multifamily residential, and large distributed enterprises. Our comprehensive product ecosystem and open API provide businesses with powerful digital tools to increase security automation, elevate employee and tenant experience, and improve the safety of all people and assets in the built environment. Having created the category over twenty years ago, our building access platform is now the digital foundation for the largest collection of customer facilities in the world, trusted by more than 25 million users occupying over 300M square feet of secured space in 42 countries.
Our dedication to simply better security means providing the best technology and support to property owners, managers, and tenants as they look for more from buildings where they live, work, and play. Our comprehensive product suite includes access control, smart readers, touchless mobile credentials, visitor management, occupancy monitoring, health and safety features, and integrated video surveillance, smart locks, and intercoms. Valued for its simple installation, high-reliability backbone, and rich API partner network, Brivo also has the longest track record of cybersecurity audits and privacy protections in the industry.
Brivo is privately held and headquartered in Bethesda, Maryland.
Brivo is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer