The Enterprise Data Services team is composed of two major functional areas: Data Integrity and Data Systems. The Director of Enterprise Data Systems is responsible for managing a small team of database and batch developers. The Data Systems team partners with multiple teams across the firm to analyze various use cases, develop a view of data architecture, recommend enterprise solutions that align with the firm’s business drivers and industry best practices, maintain or migrate from legacy data systems and refactor workflows as needed.
We are searching for an individual with a solid understanding of the concepts and best practices of data warehouses and MDM (Master Data Management), data architecture and design, governance, batch processing and ETL who will be able to apply these skills appropriately to an organization with the size and scope of the firm. This position offers a unique opportunity for talented individuals who are willing to solve complex data integration, aggregation and automation challenges to enable our journey to a more cloud-based data driven enterprise. The successful candidate will have a demonstrated history of excellent ability to manage, mentor, develop staff members. (Full time, Consultants – onshore, Consultants – offshore).
- Team Management
- Manage, mentor and motivate a development team comprised of full-time employees, onshore and offshore consultants.
- Business as Usual / Sustain Current Environment
- Making sure key systems are up and running (Bloomberg Data Management Services, Informatica and our legacy internally developed data warehouse - MKSDB).
- Ensure all proper procedures and documentation are in place for all support tasks.
- Work with management to transition appropriately certain tasks being performed by offshore resources that are better served by on-site staff and vice versa.
- Support the technical SME (reporting to this role) and our offshore managed server provider to operate a stable and reliable batch process.
- Respond to day-to-day issues as they are escalated.
- Coordinate all responses to Audit, legal, compliance, regulatory requests for information.
- Work closely with staff and peers to ensure proper change control procedures are in place and followed.
- Design and Execute Future State Plan - Play an integral role in the creation of a Center of Excellence for Enterprise Data.
- Critical 2023 Projects:
- Project MIDAS (Information and Data Architecture Strategy) - Complete migration to a Snowflake based data warehouse and retire the legacy SQL Server warehouse and all reports by end of 2023.
- Project Cumulus - Work with Enterprise Data teams effort to transition all applications to a cloud based infrastructure (AWS) by the end of 2023.
- Critical 2023 Projects:
- Ongoing key initiatives and deliverables include:
- Work with your peers (Operations, Technology and business units) to continue to modernize our data architecture in an inclusive and non-siloed manner.
- Lead technical projects. Including data warehouse modernization, data enhancement requests and legacy application retirement.
- Empowered to work in a collaborative but decisive manner to highlight gaps and lead the effort to resolve technical and process risks.
- Partner with senior management to identify potential leverage opportunities as they arise.
Required Skills (Functional and Technical)
- Demonstrated strong people management skill,
- Ability manage and motivate staff (full time and consultants) to work as a team
- Identify and develop high potential staff members
- Experience in resolving situations where staff may consistently under perform
- Experience in managing vendors and third-party suppliers
- 5+ years of relatively recent Fixed Income experience in asset management (specifically with credit, structured and municipal asset classes) including working with common data sources and entities.
- A strong foundation and hands on experience with core data concepts: security master, portfolios, holdings, lots, trades, benchmarks and issue/issuer relationships.
- 10+ years of experience with data warehouses, operational data stores and concepts of Master Data Management (MDM), Entity Relationship Diagrams and database architectures.
- 10+ years of hands-on SQL and at least one scripting language. (Python preferred).
- Significant experience with exposing datasets to consumers using services or Business Intelligence tools.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering, or related technical discipline