- Establish and execute industry-leading credit risk management and underwriting processes for the Bank’s member credit risk management function.
- Support the Bank’s strategic efforts to expand its mission related footprint through product and service innovation to existing and new member types by establishing adaptable credit and collateral risk frameworks consistent with the Board of Directors stated risk appetite.
- Provide recommendations to the Bank’s credit and collateral policies and oversee their implementation in the Member Credit Risk Management department.
- Develop and execute best practice member credit underwriting methodology and processes hosted by the Bank’s CreditLens underwriting platform.
- Oversee quantitative support for member credit underwriting and risk rating systems, data, and technology.
- Support the membership approval process and recommend initial credit and collateral terms for new members as part of the membership application approval process.
- Oversee the monitoring of the financial condition of members and nonmembers by reference to regulatory financial statements, public financial statements, and other disclosures, regulatory examination reports and actions, data services, credit models, and other.
- Review the members’ periodic risk rating, credit reviews, and recommended credit and collateral terms, consistent with the Credit and Collateral Policy
- Manage the member credit reporting to the Credit Rating Surveillance Working Group, Credit Committee, and Board of Directors
- Collaborate with Collateral Portfolio Managers in determining an appropriate credit plan for large and/or troubled depository members.
- Recommend asset classifications in accordance with the Asset Classification policy.
- Respond to audit, model validation, examinations, and regulatory requirements.
- Establish compliance with Management and Board policies, Federal Housing Finance Agency (FHFA) regulations and advisory bulletins, and other regulatory guidelines.
- Develop and engage staff through performance management, goal setting, coaching, training, and effective employee relations. Attract and retain top talent and strengthen the Bank’s organizational health.
- Minimum of twelve years’ experience analyzing, mitigating, and managing credit risk in a regulated financial institution, regulatory agency, or credit-rating agency.
- Solid understanding of fundamental credit analysis, credit rating methodologies, statistical based models, and expert judgment score cards for financial institutions and structured financial product.
- Understanding of the regulatory and financial reporting the Bank’s eligible member types (bank and thrift, credit unions, insurance companies, and Community Financial Development Institutions) and corrective/enforcement actions.
- Ability to prepare, edit and review written financial analysis memorandums for completeness and accuracy required. With this, also have an ability to use data to aid decision making by possessing strong analytical and problem-solving skills while being able to tell the story behind the numbers and analysis.
- Working knowledge of various 3rd party credit risk rating models such as Moody’s KMV/RiskCalc, CreditEdge, Bloomberg’s DRSK, etc.
- Ability to solve complex analytical problems using quantitative approaches with a unique blend of analytical, mathematical, and technical skills strongly desired.
- Advanced degree in a technical/quantitative discipline (e.g., Mathematics, Statistics, Econometrics, Finance, and/or related field) or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills may be acquired.
- Experience with or understanding of assessing credit risk associated with lending to non-regulated mortgage lenders/investors, Community Financial Development Institutions, FinTech companies, mortgage Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) and Insurance Companies.
- Working knowledge of Basel II, OCC and FHFA guidelines; ability to quantify credit risk parameters and map internal ratings to PD scales.
- Ability to use data science, machine learning and statistical analysis to support credit decisions and streamline credit processes.
- Demonstrated accomplishment of managing credit facilities to financial institutions.
- Experience with credit process, new product development, analyzing, creating, and using models to conduct proforma analysis of balance sheets and income statements.
- Thorough understanding of residential and commercial real estate lending and mortgage product.
The successful candidate will be a self-starter with an innovative mindset and possess a balance of solid quantitative risk analysis and business skills. Must have:
- Both strong people leadership knowledge and subject matter expertise in credit underwriting practices obtained through advanced education combined with experience.
- Experience with producing and reviewing senior level presentations.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal. An outstanding ability to apply quantitative and qualitative analytical approaches, communicate effectively with senior management and work well in cross-functional teams.
- Strong project management skills and proven ability to influence and drive results through effective thought leadership and teamwork.
- Creative problem solver with the ability to think outside the box on complex credit situations.
- Ability to articulate strengths and limitations of our current and proposed models.
- Strong ability to use data to aid decision making by possessing strong analytical and problem-solving skills to tell the story behind the numbers and analysis.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to collaboratively work in an inclusive team environment and to influence and interface with a broad range of stakeholders at all levels, both internal and external.
- Strong time management skills and comfort with dynamically shifting priorities, timelines, and demands
- Ability to drive results and accountable for continuously improving performance, leading change, and ensuring high standards.