Applications Systems Engineer II (Developer)
Location: Oakland, CA
Hybrid workplace. Some days in office each week required.
Salary: $128,024.00 - $162,614.40 Yearly
Alameda County IT is hiring an Applications System Engineer II (Developer) for the County’s Property, Tax and Billing systems team.
Our current environment is primarily COBOL/VSAM/CICS with some DB2, SQL Server, Java, and .NET subsystems. We have undertaken a long-term project to migrate and modernize the applications to a Microsoft .NET web platform. This position requires BOTH .NET and MAINFRAME EXPERIENCE.
Job Duties include:
· Lead efforts for analysis of legacy systems and development activities
· Ability to work simultaneously on multiple projects and deliverables
· Interface with ITD resources and users to design, develop and test solutions for complex business requirements or problems
· Analyze and design software solutions that utilize modern technologies, programming techniques, and methods
· Deliver high quality solutions on time and within budget.
Minimum Requirements for Classification:
The equivalent of five (5) years full time experience designing, developing, analyzing, supporting, and implementing complex software systems. OR two (2) years of experience with a Bachelor’s degree in MIS, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a closely related field.
.NET AND MAINFRAME EXPERIENCE REQUIRED. Applicants will not be considered without experience in both.
The ideal candidates will possess the equivalent of a minimum of twelve years of full-time, increasingly responsible experience in systems analysis and programming. In addition, the candidate must have:
· High-level skills as a full stack Microsoft .NET developer using Angular, ASP.NET web forms, C#/VB.NET, SQL Server, SSIS and SSRS/PowerBI, and MAINFRAME experience.
· Demonstrable skills in COBOL, DB2, VSAM, CICS, and JCL development and maintenance.
· Experience in analyzing complex business systems and legacy COBOL programs.
· The ability to communicate technical concepts on problem solutions to business users and to the peers on the team in an effective manner.
· Experience in upgrading and/or rewriting legacy systems.
· Experience integrating legacy systems with web applications
· The desire to upgrade skills and application software to new technologies.
· The ability to write design documents and program specifications for junior staff.
· Willingness to be on-call for after-hours production support.
Desired Skills and Experience:
· Easytrieve programming experience.
· Experience in building service-oriented applications and REST APIs are a plus
· Experience with Java enterprise applications, DB2, and project management
County Pension Plan, eleven (11) paid holidays a year + initial accrual rate of ten (10) vacation days/yr (increases over time) + seven (7) additional management paid vacation days/year + four (4) floating holidays/year + accrual of thirteen (13) sick days/year. Medical/ Dental/ Vision/ FSA/ Transportation cafeteria benefit selection options, and much more!
Qualified candidates who are extended a conditional offer of employment will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification documents upon hire. Alameda County does not anticipate providing sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g. H-1B) and an offer of employment shall not be construed as including said sponsorship presently or in the future. No vendor resumes at this time.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Alameda County has a diverse workforce, that is representative of the communities we serve, and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment are based on merit, competence, performance, and business need. Alameda County does not discriminate in employment on the basis of inclusion in protected classes or other non-merit factors as defined under federal, state and local law. Alameda County celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive, and welcoming workplace environment.