- ux design
W.W. Norton & Company is seeking a talented UX Designer with solid visual design and UX design experience. We care deeply about the digital products we create. At Norton, UX research and design helps improve our product strategy. You will join a UX team of sharp, supportive, and motivated designers who collaborate closely with stakeholders, product managers and software engineers to create exceptional experiences for our customers.
Our UX team crosses many different types of customers, from general book readers to college students and instructors. We have a collaborative design team environment and strive to make complex products beautiful, easy to use, accessible and inclusive. We’re particularly proud of our Ed tech products that focus on improving student learning.
Our UX designers are embedded on projects from initial kickoff through implementation. We practice a user-centered design approach with numerous user testing touchpoints in our product design process to create products that engage and delight our customers.
This position is 100% remote and reports to the Director of User Experience.
Essential Job Responsibilities Include:
- Create wireframes, prototypes, and high-fidelity designs for Norton’s digital products
- Participate in user research and produce research deliverables
- Present designs and effectively communicate design decisions to stakeholders, design colleagues, product managers, and software engineers
- Support design colleagues and add value to the design team
- Collaborate closely with stakeholders, design colleagues, product managers, and software
engineers from product conception to implementation
Please note- this job description is not designed to cover all activities required of the employee.
- 3+ years relevant experience designing for web and mobile sites with pixel-level attention to detail
- Solid understanding of responsive web design principles, typography, color, and visual hierarchy
- A portfolio that demonstrates thorough understanding of a user-centered design approach
- Experience or desire to learn user research processes, such a contextual inquiry and usability testing
- Knowledge of WCAG accessibility standards and desire to grow accessible design skills
- Strong teamwork, communication, and presentation skills
- Passion in solving design problems with people in mind
- Proficiency with Adobe XD, Figma, Sketch, or similar prototyping tool
- Employment eligibility to work with W.W. Norton & Company in the US is required.
- Must be able to work full business hours. Working hours are 9-5 EST. Occasional travel may be required.
- W. W. Norton & Company (Norton) strives to maintain a COVID-free workplace. To that end, being fully vaccinated is a condition of employment for all new Norton hires. Norton makes reasonable accommodations for qualified applicants with disabilities, sincerely held religious beliefs, or other conditions protected by applicable law.
Compensation and Benefits*
Currently available benefits include:
- Competitive salary
- Generous paid time off, paid holidays, and summer Friday afternoons beginning in July
- Generous health benefits, including PPO and EPO medical insurance options, vision insurance, dental insurance, flexible spending accounts for healthcare, dependent care and commuter, gym membership reimbursement, and more. Coverage for spouses, domestic partners, and dependent children is available.
- Profit-Sharing and 401(k) benefit plan with discretionary contribution matching by employer
- Disability and life insurances
- FMLA, parental and other leave
- Employee Assistance Program (for mental health, financial planning, and other needs)
- Company-provided laptop
- Employee discounts on Norton books
- Limited matching of employee donations to select non-profit organizations
*All policies and benefits described are subject to change at any time.