- Data Migration
- computer science
- data transformation
- data warehouse
- data pipelines
- data mining
- relational model
REI Systems provides reliable, effective, and innovative technology solutions that advance federal, state, local, and nonprofit missions. Our technologists and consultants are passionate about solving complex challenges that impact millions of lives. We take a Mindful Modernization approach in delivering our application modernization, grants management systems, government data analytics, and advisory services. Mindful Modernization is the REI Way of delivering mission impact by aligning our government customers’ strategic objectives to measurable outcomes through people, processes, and technology.
Learn more at REIsystems.com.
Employees voted REI Systems a Washington Post Top Workplace in 2015, 2016, 2018, 2020, 2021 and 2022!
As a Senior Data Engineer, you will/may:
- Design, implement, and automate deployment of our distributed system for collecting and processing data from multiple sources.
- Design data schema and operate internal data warehouses and SQL database systems.
Own the design, development, and maintenance of ongoing metrics, reports, analyses, and dashboards that engineers, analysts, and data scientists use to drive key business decisions.
- Monitor and troubleshoot operational or data issues in the data pipelines.
- Drive architectural plans and implementation for future data storage, reporting, and analytic solutions.
- Develop code based automated data pipelines able to process millions of data points.
- Improve database and data warehouse performance by tuning inefficient queries.
- Work collaboratively with Business Analysts, Data Scientists, and other internal partners to identify opportunities/problems.
- Provide assistance to the team with troubleshooting, researching the root cause, and thoroughly resolving defects in the event of a problem.
- Expertise in Data Migration from Oracle to AWS PostgreSQL.
- Expertise in ETL
- Can articulate the basic differences between datatypes (e.g. JSON/NoSQL, relational).
- Understand the basics of designing and implementing a data schema (e.g., normalization, relational model vs dimensional model).
- 6+ yr. experience with data mining and data transformation.
- 6+ yr. experience with database and/or data warehouse
- 6+ yr. experience building data pipelines or automated ETL processes.
- + yr. experience with SQL.
- 6+ yr. experience with Python, Spark (PySpark), Databricks, AWS, Azure
- 10 plus years of experience is required.
Master’s Degree or advanced technical degree
Experience building code based on data pipelines in production able to process big datasets.
Knowledge of writing and optimizing SQL queries with large-scale, complex datasets.
Industry certifications including Databricks and AWS
Experience with Spark MLlib and applying existing machine learning algorithms against data lakehouses to drive insight and predictive capabilities
Experience with Tableau
Education: Bachelor’s degree in computer science, data analytics, business intelligence, economics, statistics, or mathematics
Clearance: US Citizen able to obtain Public Trust
Certification(s): AWS & Oracle certification is required
Location/Remote: Hybrid- Sterling, VA - Washington, DC
Covid Policy Disclosure: Should the essential functions of this position require that the employee performing this role work on-site at REI’s Sterling location the following requirements will apply: the individual holding this position must be fully vaccinated, as defined in CDC guidance, as a condition of continued employment. REI will consider requests to be excused from this policy whenever necessary to comply with legal requirements and will consider any requests for reasonable accommodations due to a disability, religion, or other exemptions on an individual basis in accordance with applicable legal requirements. Employees and applicants requesting accommodations should request the accommodation in writing and should explain in detail the reasons why they are seeking an accommodation. REI will request additional information or documentation it deems necessary to inform its decision on an employee’s or applicant’s accommodation request.
REI Systems is an Equal Opportunity Employer (Minority/Female/Disability/Vet)