Although this position is primarily onsite at one of our Truliant locations, this position has a flexible work arrangement that gives you the opportunity to work remotely occasionally, or according to an established schedule determined by your manager.
Purpose of the Job
The IT Systems Engineer is responsible for the hardware and software components of the network and other devices within the business setting for current and future environments. This includes planning, developing, installing, configuring, maintaining, supporting, upgrading, and optimizing all network hardware, software, and communication links. This role requires the individual to proactively monitor system performance and issues and respond to incidents that require attention in a timely manner. The IT Systems Engineer provides escalated support on infrastructure and systems issues for Service Desk functions as needed.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Participates in improvement and monitoring of deployment operations on pre-release, upgrades and current versions of software.
- Participates in evaluating compatibility of programs with existing communications hardware and software features.
- Proactively identifies technical opportunities and enhancements while addressing major incidents in a timely manner.
- Participates in scheduling and implementation of enhancements, repairs, and upgrades of systems hardware and software
- Manages and ensures the integrity of servers, enterprise class storage devices (SAN, NAS), multiple databases, and data transfer.
- Manages and ensures the integrity, security, and retention of data on various storage devices.
- Ensures connectivity of all workstations.
- Leverages root cause analysis best practices.
- Contributes to the development and administration of Disaster Recovery plans.
- Evaluates and monitors system performance.
- Performs administration of UNIX systems including but not limited to, CentOS, Debian, SUSE, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, MySQL and MariaDB.
- Performs Backup/Restore configuration, implementation, and administration.
- Performs Virtualization Administration (VMWare ESX, Vcenter).
- Manages file structures along with permissions, sharing, and security.
- Establishes and maintains proper system documentation.
- Assesses need for any system reconfigurations (minor or significant) and executes them as required.
- Practices systems asset management, including maintenance of systems component inventory and related documentation and technical specifications information.
- Administers and maintains end user accounts, permissions, and access rights.
- Monitors and tests server software performance and provides statistics and reports.
- Recommends, schedules, and performs operating systems and applications improvements, upgrades, and patches.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists with other tasks and projects as assigned.
- Provides assistance and training to Systems Engineer I and Service Desk team related to the administration and troubleshooting of hardware and applications deployed in the Truliant FCU environment as needed.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Must have ability to work in a fast-paced environment, driving performance and reliability from software and IT infrastructure
- Must have understanding of HA and DR concepts as they apply to Systems Designs
- Must have understanding of technologies consisting of but not limited to Virtualization (VMware), SAN, Backup\Recovery, Cloud, Business Continuity
- Must have working knowledge of IT security as it relates to both datacenter and cloud based infrastructure
- Must have working and technical knowledge and experience with current UNIX operating systems
- Knowledge and experience of HP blade enclosures and HP 3PAR storage systems is preferred
- Must have Systems engineering skills in one or more areas of Server Hardware, Storage, Operating Systems, Middleware
- Must have knowledge of technical project management, project implementation, systems engineering
- Must be familiar with system tools so as to be able to research and trouble shoot problems and provide solutions
- Must have general knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws
- Must have excellent communication skills in English, both verbal and written
- Must have ability to present ideas and solutions in user-friendly language
- Must be adept at reading, writing, and interpreting technical documentation and procedure manuals
- Must have proven analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Must be self motivated, with ability to make decisions and work independently
- Must have ability to understand all business processes within the credit union
- Must be detail oriented and well organized
- Must be able to work in a general office environment
- Must be flexible and able to shift resources and priorities and execute tasks as required in a high pressure environment
- Must be able to work a production support and on call rotation to ensure 24/7 operations
- Should possess a strong commitment to providing excellent service to Truliant’s members
- Occasional standing, walking, bending, and stooping required
- Must be able to sit at a desk for long periods of time and use a computer
- Must be able to moderately lift or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift or move up to 25 pounds
- Must have a valid driver’s license and be able to travel between Truliant FCU locations as needed
Education and Background
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related discipline is required; experience may substitute for the education requirement
- 3-5 years’ experience in Infrastructure Systems maintenance required
- 3-5 years’ experience with CentOS/REHL 5 and above required
- 3-5 years’ experience with DHCP, DNS and Spacewalk/Satellite required
- 3-5 years’ experience with automation utilizing Shell scripting (ksh, bash, Perl, python, etc.) required
- 3-5 years’ experience with Virtual server configuration in VMware required
- 3-5 years’ experience in UNIX patch management best practices is required
- Experience in the development and implementation of both local area networks and wide area networks is required
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related discipline is preferred
- CentOS, RHEL, VMware or HP technical certifications preferred
- Experience with MySQL and MariaDB administration preferred
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment preferred