- Cyber Security
- Engineering Manager
- Technical Writing
- Instructional Design
- Technical Writer
- Information Assurance
- technical documentation
How to Apply
A cover letter and resume are important submissions for the hiring team to get a sense of your experience. In the cover letter, in one page or less, please let us know how you will align with your career aspirations and skills. Submit both a cover letter and resume as one file.
Competitive salary available based on qualifications, experience and education of the selected candidate.
Information and Technology Services (ITS) has an exciting opportunity for a Technical Writer – Cyber Security in its Information Assurance Office.
You will be responsible for creating technical documentation for ITS products and services, including installation guides, API documentation, release notes, and other technical materials.
You will report to the IT Security Design and Engineering Manager.
Who We Are
Information and Technology Services (ITS) supports U-M faculty, researchers, staff, and students in their use of technology to teach, learn, research, and work, and be leaders in their fields. We are dedicated to creating cohesive digital experiences and promoting university wide innovations. ITS's mission is to be trusted enablers of technology for the U-M community. ITS works together to provide cohesive digital experiences and seamless support to the U-M community. For more information about ITS, visit:
- Create technical documentation for ITS products and services, including installation guides, API documentation, release notes, and other technical materials.
- Work with ITS service managers to ensure that documentation is accurate, up-to-date, and capturing complex technical information.
- Review and edit existing documentation to ensure clarity, consistency, and adherence to industry standards.
- Collaborate with teams to gather information, define requirements, and identify areas for improvement in our documentation processes.
- Ensure that all documentation is easy to understand, and meet the needs of our diverse customer base.
- Keep up-to-date with industry trends and best practices in IT security and technical writing, and share expertise with the team.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
- At least 4 years of experience (2 years for Intermediate) in a comparable role.
- Experience understanding complex technical, business, and legal concepts and explaining them to different audiences.
- Experience creating technical documentation and resource libraries.
- Experience managing work by prioritizing own assignments, schedules, and meetings, resulting in completion of work.
- Bachelor's degree in an area specifically related to the role. For example, English, Communications, Technical Writing, Instructional Design, and so on.
- Work experience in higher education.
- Experience with video development and animation software.
- Experience leading performance support programs, such as campaigns, curricula, resource libraries, etc.
UM- ITS welcomes a healthy applicant pool so we encourage all interested applicants to apply. This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
You will be filled at the Senior level salary range of $70,000 - $82,000 as the primary goal. The requirements listed below reflect the Senior level expectation. Applicants with lesser experience are encouraged to apply and may be considered if the primary goal is not met. Lesser-experienced candidates will be reviewed at an Intermediate salary range of $59,000 - $65,000.
Benefits at the University of Michigan
In addition to a career filled with purpose and opportunity, The University of Michigan offers a comprehensive benefits package to help you stay well, protect yourself and your family and plan for a secure future. Benefits include:
• Generous time off
• A retirement plan that provides two-for-one matching contributions with immediate vesting
• Many choices for comprehensive health insurance
• Life insurance
• Long-term disability coverage
• Flexible spending accounts for healthcare and dependent care expenses
• Dental and Vision Insurance
• Parental and Maternity Leave
Job openings are posted for at least seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.